No Dream

The entirety of the next day required more brain power than usual, for you were forced to figure out in every circumstance whether your moment with Draco Malfoy was, in fact, real or not. You remembered of nothing after the moment, and it was as though you'd awoken directly after Malfoy's leave. Why he left, you were still in utter confusion. Yet, the course of the dream made you leaned closer to believing it was all but that; a dream. The unusual manner in which you and Malfoy regarded each other could have only meant it was a dream. At breakfast, Malfoy did not bat an eye at you, but proceeded to laugh with his friends and bully other kids, as his normal usual day went. During lessons, again, it was almost as though you did not exist. There was, without a doubt, no way that just the night before the two of you wished to kiss, and no way he touched your lips in the way he did. Yet, sitting in Potions, you felt yourself drift away as you brushed your own bottom lip, in the exact same manner Malfoy had in your dream, retracing his steps and feeling his smooth thumb and rings graze you yet again.

"Potter," Snape snapped. "Answer the question."

"I wasn't listening."

"I know that. It's why I asked. See me after lesson."

You sighed and looked back down at your desk, continuing to sit in your mind, deep in thought of the night's occurrences. Was it real? It felt so real - like a memory, not a dream. Yet Malfoy's cold, typical regard to you proved that it was not, and everything was the way it should be. There was no worrying; no grazing; no looking at each other's lips. Whilst the ostensible thought was one of gladness and peace that this was not, in fact, real, there was a strong underlying feeling of resentment and disappointment which you refused to wholly admit. The idea played on your mind some more, not quite wishing to let it go, for the feelings which were present back in the dream proved far more exciting than the situation you were in now.

The way Malfoy looked upon you, the way he pronounced your name; it was far more intriguing. But his rings - were they a manifestation of your mind, or did he really wear rings? You'd never noticed before. And so, gently turning your head to the desk on the opposite end of the room, you glanced at his hands, which were placed upon the desk, and slowly examined his fingers, realising the unusual accuracy of your dream in representing them. The rings were perfect as your mind had created them. For a moment, you wished to feel the ring move along your jaw yet again.

Still staring at Malfoy, he thus lifted his head from his desk and shifted it to the side to look at you, causing the two of you to lock eyes. His expression was one of confusion, or so you thought it was, and, panicking, you quickly turned away from him and faced Snape.

After lesson, when everyone was walking out, you approached Snape who was sitting at his desk. He awaited everyone in the room to leave, and when it was just the two of you, he instructed for you to sit before his desk. You did so.

"You're not in trouble," he said, stoic, "I've kept you behind to congratulate you."

"Oh," you smiled.

"Well done on the first task, Potter. You did well. I was rather nervous, I must admit, especially when you disappeared. You know, Malfoy was very proud of you."

"Oh, he was?" You asked, your voice suddenly quieter.

"He spoke to my after the first task."

"What did he say?"

"He said he was very worried about you too. But that he's proud of you and that he expected nothing less from you. Do whatever you please with this information."

"He really said that?"

"He did."

You proceeded to smile. Perhaps your dream was a reflection of Malfoy's true feelings and emotions. Perhaps the joy for you that he felt in your dream was but a representation of real life. The mere thought of it made you smile even wider; to know that he'd watched you specifically and gone out of his way to speak of words positive of you to other people. Yes - you liked that. And, though you refused to acknowledge it, you felt a build up of a tickling feeling within your stomach; those, what do they call those? Butterflies, supposedly. Yes, you had those, and they thus spread through to your legs and arms, leaving you in a sensational feeling of excitement and thrill.

"Off you go, then," Snape said, sending you off.

On your way back to the common room, in which you decided to go and change clothes since the school day was over. You found yourself obsessively replaying the dream over and over again - the ring, the lip, the eyes, the manner in which he looked at you ever so gently. And, upon realising that these matters were but a dream, you felt your heart gently drop and you felt a sunken chest within you. In fact, you felt yourself grow even more solitary and weary upon the sight of the very window on which you had your dream. The ledge upon which you and Malfoy sat, sharing it together, when he looked down at you with a faint smile and held your lips with his thumb. In your dream, he left you on that very window for absolutely no reason, making you yearn and crave more.

With a clearing of the throat, you felt yourself shift to the side, approaching the very window closer and closer, until you were right against it. Looking down at the ledge, you inhaled and ran your finger over the ledge, looking at where yours and Malfoy's figures should have been sitting - in real life - not in a dream.

And yet, to your attention was brought the very little pen that wrote your initials alongside Malfoy's in a handwriting that mimicked yours and yet was far smaller to catch anyone's true attention who was not previously aware of its presence there.

The thrill, the excitement - it all began to rise.

It was no dream.

Malfoy had really held you on this ledge.

The feeling of his rings, his thumb, the way he looked upon you - it was reality. Writing down your initials, which you remembered doing in the 'dream' - it was real. Everything was real. He was real.

It was no dream.