The Department of Mysteries

Dodging every spell you could, you began to feel weary and tired from all of the dodging. That was enough defence. Now it was time for some offence. Inhaling, you gripped your wand tighter before looking ahead of yourself, inhaling, exhaling, and whispering: "Alright, my turn."

Though capable of dying at any moment, it was truly what thrilled you. To feel the adrenaline pumping through was the very sole provider of your energy, which gave you the ability to survive. A spell here and there, a smirk back and forth, a sarcastic comment; it built you as a person and only increased your confidence, thereby increasing your energy and your quality of fighting. Your practicing with Harry paid off, as you were capable of casting off each and every spell that was thrown at you, immediately being able to throw a spell back which the Death Eaters never predicted. Suddenly, all your years at Hogwarts reflected themselves in your fighting: The quick thinking - from all your arguments with Slytherins. The fitness - from playing football with Cedric, plus running around the entire castle every night. The muscle control - from all your Quidditch games. And finally, your enjoyment of the fights themselves, reflecting your years of boredom back at the Dursleys before you knew you were a witch.

You were made for this world.

You were made to be Voldemort's worst enemy, for it thrilled you.

Suddenly, the spells being thrown at you stopped. Silence followed. This was not good. Thus, panicking, you turned back to where you originally came from, running to the section which combined the four aisles together. There already stood all your friends, in a group, as they were looking back and forth for you, and finally sighed of relief when you arrived.

"Not going to lie, I kicked some ass back there," you grinned, panting.

Harry opened his mouth to comment, however the smoke of a Death Eater began to rise in the air. Soon enough, the smoke turned into a figure in the distance, approaching you, yet again. This seemed to be the only Death Eater left in the hall. And thus, Ginny, taking it upon herself, lifted her hand gracefully and yelled, "Reducto!", sending off a large light beam towards the Death Eater. The light did, in fact, encompass that entire end, and the Death Eater was no more.

However, a much larger problem now stood in your way. Slowly, more shelves began to crumble as the crystal balls proceeded to fall off them rapidly. It all happened in such a quick manner - the shelves falling, crumbling, crashing towards you - that you and your friends had no choice but to begin running towards the opposite end. You and Harry, as you ran, remained at the far back of the group, simply to ensure that no one got left behind.

"You alright?" Harry panted, turning to you as he ran beside you.

"Yeah mate, you?"

"Not too bad," he laughed out, trying to make the best of a bad situation.

"Could go for a lasagne right now, to be fair," you added. Harry had no response to this; he merely flashed you a ridiculous look before shaking his head in disapproval. "What? You're telling me you wouldn't eat a lasagne if it got offered to you?"

"Oh, shut up!" Harry cried out.

Finally, you'd all reached the door. Without a second hesitation, you forced it open, all of you running through it. Ready to step on the floor, you found yourself in an infinite shock as you found no floor beneath you. You were currently falling down, at an immense speed, and your heart had raised itself above the roof from shock and fear.

"This is how we die!" You cried out.

"Shut up, shut up!" Hermione screamed out.

"Why do you have to comment on everything!?" Harry also cried out in a fit of panic.

"I think it's funny that she does!" Ginny screamed out also, laughing.

"Thank you, Ginny," you proceed to say, calmly.

And, just as you were prepared to hit the ground, your bodies had come to an instant halt just before. Hovering gently above the ground, your face was just before it, staring down at it in horror.

"See, we're alive-" and thus your body fell. Your face had hit the ground and, whining, you lifted yourself weakly, rubbing your face in pain.

All your friends had already raised themselves and were gaping at a large archway, which produced a small light, glimmering inside, with whispers coming through it to the large hall. Taken aback by the unusual structure, you also lifted yourself in silence and approached the archway slowly, gazing at it in awe. The faintest of whispers were produced from it; almost as though voices were calling out yearningly to you, yet you could not make out a word of it.

"It's the Veil," Harry whispered, "the archway between life and death."

You opened your mouth to comment, but Harry quickly told you to shut up before you could fit any comment through, triggering your frown at him. You all therefore stared at the Veil for a while longer, attempting to process the way it looked, the way it sounded, and the empty feeling it inspired within you all.

The archway between life and death.

You began to wonder: is there truly such a clear, refined distinction between the living and the dead? Is there truly this one, thin line that separated two completely different matters? The patronising thoughts only made you gulp, biting down your lip, feeling inevitably uncomfortable and even sick. Feeling sick was a norm for you recently, so you wouldn't have been surprised if your body had forced you to throw up right there and then as a product of your own negative thoughts. Nevertheless, you did not have much time to indulge in these thoughts, for the attacking sounds of the Death Eaters began approaching from where the door, up in the air, was. All of you, instinctively, gripping your wands tightly and turned again to the door, lifting up your arms with the wands, aiming them at the place you believed the Death Eaters to be coming from.

Filled with horror and fear, your vision suddenly became encompassed by a black smoke. The room had now filled entirely with the smoke of the Death Eaters and, though extremely horrified, you could not help but wonder how the hell they made themselves into black smoke. It was an extremely cool feature and, if given the opportunity, you hoped to ask them about it to include within your own magical practices. It certainly would've creeped the Slytherins out if you succeeded.

However, once the black smoke cleared ... you realised the true horror which you'd despised to think of previously. Still in the middle, by the Veil, you and Harry stood alone. Around, on the other hand, were your friends, all held by the throats by wands of the Death Eaters. All of them were held violently, their hair gripped tightly to keep them in place, and the tips of the Death Eaters' wands digging into your friends' skins.

Only now had you felt the true rush of fury and rage. Only now did you suddenly feel your blood rush your entire body, firing it with a horrific passion. Only now did you feel incapable of making a sarcastic comment. Only now did you truly feel the desire to use curses forbidden from your tongue, on all these figures of evil who were holding your dearest friends captive.