A Changed Man

Ron could not contain his laughter, examining the newspaper as he held it and read it. All your friends and Harry shook their heads in disapproval, but could not stop laughing at the sight of your mugshot.

"Look, I think I'm pretty fit," you shrugged confidently, sitting back in the Hogwarts Express seat.

"Absolutely," Ron agreed, handing you the newspaper back. "But a job? I never imagined you working at a cafe."

"There's a lot of things you don't know about me," you grinned mischievously, just for Harry to scoff.

"Like what? You're as plain as - "

"Watch your words, Potter," you snapped back at Harry, who shook his head. "I need a piss."

"You need a piss every two seconds," Ron laughed.

"Yeah, well, priorities," you said with a wink before heading up and off your seat and heading towards the bathroom.

Throughout your walk, you kept your eyes tightly fixed onto the path through which you walked, avoiding eyes around of students, being afraid to meet the very eyes of the boy who so whole heartedly possessed your heart. Did he still feel the same way? Did he remember the promise? Had anything changed? You did not wish to cloud your mind with the fear and thoughts of anxiety, thus you kept your eyes facing one destination: the bathroom. The way there was successful - no blue eyes were caught. The way back ... was just as successfully. Sighing of peace, you flopped back down into your seat in your compartment with your friends, who were mid conversation.

"I think he's a Death Eater," Harry was saying.

"Who?" You asked.

"No one." Hermione snapped. "He means ... someone he saw when we were in the cafe that day. He thought he saw someone watching us."

"What?" Harry asked. "No, I mean - "

"I think he might've been too," Hermione continued, cutting him off in a panic, "he looked at us weirdly."

Harry raised an eyebrow and decided to cut the conversation there, not understanding Hermione's sudden odd behaviour.

"Anyway," Harry cleared his throat, "I've got to go somewhere. I'm going to go sit with ... the other people ... and catch up with their stuff." And with this, Harry bid you and your friends a sudden goodbye before leaving the compartment.

"What?" You asked, confused at the sudden shift of behaviour since you came from the bathroom. "Did I miss a century or something?"

"He was being weird when you left," Ron said, "don't know."

"He's just worried about returning to Hogwarts ... with all the Voldemort stuff, you know," Hermione said nervously, her eyes flashing back and forth from you and Ron, as though she was waiting for your approval of her lie.

Sighing, you sat back in your seat and looked out of the window, watching the mountains passing against the dreary sky. Today was a sulky day; the clouds hung heavily above heads, occasionally releasing singular teardrops, almost as though it was waiting to pour, but the clouds remained doubtful. The air felt dreadfully dry, almost suffocating, and you could not help but lean your forehead against the window, watching the shadows pass. It was growing dark already, meaning Hogwarts was not far off. Was Draco on the train? Was Draco close? What was he doing? Was he thinking of you? Your head was pounding just at the thought, not knowing what to expect, not knowing what to prepare yourself for. You ... you were in love with him, endlessly, but that is different to loving someone. To be in love ... is not as strong as loving. You did not love Draco, you believed. Not yet.