Chapter 484 - Peeling layer after layer (1)

"...A contract?"

The innkeeper's grandson Sully sighed as he plopped down across from Cale.
Cale looked at Sully as he started to speak.

"You already know that it is an Elemental that is roaming around you."

The last time he was at this inn, the innkeeper grandmother had said something while looking at the Fire Elemental roaming around Sully.

'My husband told me when I said I could see them. He said that they were Elementals.'
'I was relieved that my daughter could not see them. I worried that she would be like me and be able to see them.'
'Because I was seduced by them. I settled down in this Land of Despair so that I could get glimpses of them when they appeared. But this damn lake seduced people even if they could not see the Elementals.'

The grandmother had said that she had built her home in this village because she fell for the Elementals.
Sully had heard her tell this story to Cale and the others.

"...Yes, I do."

Sully continued to sigh. Cale continued to look at him before peeking away.

– Human! The old lady is smiling!

'I know, right?'

Sully's grandmother was smiling while looking at Cale.
Cale heard the Wind Elemental's voice at that moment.

'The baby Fire Elemental is sad. 'Chaos, destruction, sorrow,' is what he is saying.'

He naturally ignored the Wind Elemental's crazy comments.

"Do you not want to contract with the Elemental?"

Cale preferred to be blunt rather than beat around the bush. It was the same for Sully as well.
The innocent-looking young man with brown hair and freckles on his face started to speak.

"I, I thought it was messing with me!"
"...Hmm?"

He looked toward the fireball next to Cale with teary eyes.

"A red fire randomly passes by my window when I try to get some rest after work! Do you know how shocked I was the first time?! It scares me like that every night!"

He started to pull his hair with his hands.
Cale heard the Wind Elemental's urgent voice at that moment.

'It's not like that! The Fire Elemental said he waited until he was done with work and approached him to get closer! Please quickly deliver the message! Urgent, urgent!'

Cale opened his mouth to speak.

"Uhh...mm...the Fire Elemental says he waited until you were done with work before approaching you to get closer."
"...Haaa. I see. I can understand that. But you see... Do you know what it does when I go to the kitchen to work? The fire in the kitchen forge suddenly shoots up! Do you know how much food I ended up burning because of it?"

Cale delivered the urgent response from the Wind Elemental.

"About that... Mm, the Fire Elemental wanted to contract with you and thought he should show you his powers to do that, and the only chance he had was when you came to the fire inside the kitchen."
'That's right! He says he wanted to show the human the power of the fiery thunderbolt and the sea of fire!'

He did not share that part.

"...In addition."

Sully still had more to say.

"It put some of the customers' clothes on fire. It even lit their food on fire. That's why there's a rumor that the inn has a fire ghost possessing it!"
"Mm. He says those drunk people all cause a ruckus and made things difficult for you? That they even tried to mess with your grandmother?"