Elevator Malfunction

I rush my apartment building. I need to hurry and get dressed for dinner with my parents. I scurry over to my mailbox and quickly check for mail. Nope, none. I then hurry to the elevator. I see it starting to close.

“Hey! Excuse me!” I yell. “Can you hold that open for me,” I yell, running towards the elevator. I see a hand stick out of the elevator, stopping the door from closing. I let out a sigh of relief.

“Thank you,” I say, breathing heavy from running to the elevator. I glance over to see who stopped the elevator for me. It’s Thomas from the fifth floor. I smile at him and he returns the smile.

“You’re welcome,” Thomas replies with his very attractive british accent. “What floor?” he asks.

“Sixth,” I say simply. Thomas pushes the sixth floor button. Then out of nowhere the elevator stops and an alarm starts to go off. I hold my breath as the lights go out. I let out a quiet shriek. I feel a hand grab mine in a comforting way. I know it’s Thomas, so I squeeze his hand. Then the backup lights come on and I exhale. Thomas turns to me.

“Are you okay?” he asks. I nod slowly.

“Yeah, it just caught me off guard,” I admit to Thomas. Thomas smiled at me, reassuringly, and I smiled back.

Thomas and I talked for about an hour and the elevator still hasn’t started up yet. We are both sitting on the floor. We are leaning against opposite walls, staring at each other.

“So, why did you move to America?” I ask Thomas.

“I wanted to pursue my music career,” Thomas tells me. I’m kind of shocked by this.

“Really?” I say and Thomas laughs, then he nods. “What do you play?” I ask Thomas, leaning forward.

“Umm… Bass and I sing a little,” Thomas admits. My eyes widen and a smile appears in my face.

“Oh my gosh! Sing for me!” I say excitedly. Thomas’ eyes widen now.

“What? No,” Thomas says. I give him a pouty face and stick out my bottom lip.

“Please, just a verse or two” I say, batting my eyelashes.

“Fine, but only because you are so cute,” Thomas says. I blush a bit, but try to hide it with my hands. Then Thomas begins to sing.

“Here comes the sun, here comes the sun,

and I’ll say it’s alright,

Little darling, it's been a long cold lonely winter

Little darling, it feels like years since it's been here

Here comes the sun, here comes the sun

And I say it's all right

Little darling, the smiles returning to the faces

Little darling, it seems like years since it's been here

Here comes the sun, here comes the sun

And I say it's all right”

Thomas finishes and I clap.

“Oh my god, Thomas, that was so amazing!” I say, grinning widely.

“Thank you,” Thomas says, shyly, rubbing the back of his neck, very attractively if I may say so myself. Then before I know it Thomas has crawled over, next to me.

“So, umm… I really like your voice,” I say, stupidly, staring into Thomas’ eyes as he stares into mine. Then I see Thomas leaning into me and I let him. Our lips touch gently and then there’s a jolt. The elevator begins to rise again. I smile at Thomas before connecting our lips again.