The Gift Part 2

The Gift Part 2

It’s been about a month since Thomas gave me that locket. I’ve worn it everyday since he gave it to me. Sometimes I’ll be at work or just sitting at home and I’ll open it.

I stare at the picture Thomas put in it. It’s of Thomas and I about a year ago at our graduation party. We both looked so happy. Our smiles were plastered on our faces, from ear to ear. I was wearing a white dress with a sweetheart neckline and skinny straps. The dress flared out a bit above the waist. And for shoes, well it was a party in my backyard, so I was barefoot. Thomas, on the other hand, looked very handsome. He was wearing a grey button up and black skinny jeans. Thomas’ arm was draped over my shoulder and my arm was wrapped around his waist. I had laid my head on his shoulder.

Then, sometimes, after I’ve stared at the picture for a while, I read the note Thomas left me inside.

“I’m scared that if I told you that I love you and you don’t feel the same, our friendship would be over.”

I must have read it thousands of times. I loved it so much. I still remember that day like it was yesterday.

A Month Ago

I had pulled away from Thomas. After I read the message he wrote, I cried. I cried like a baby. I remember not being able to hold in the tears. I have had a crush on my best friend for, like, ever.

The entire gift was the best thing I’ve ever received. The necklace, the picture, the message. The fact that he remembered. The love and guts he put into this huge gesture. He had just told me he loved me in the most amazing way I could think of. I adored this guy.

I remember staring into his eyes, for a while. Tears would occasionally fill my eyes, then one or two would escape my eyes and fall down my cheek. Thomas would wipe them away, like the romantic he is. He just stared as if our heads were held in place. A smile creeped onto my face. I remember feeling a warm, tingly feeling in my stomach. The locket was open, in my right hand. I glanced down at it and then closed it. I handed it to him. Thomas must have realized I wanted him to put it on me because he unclipped the two ends. I turned around and held my hair up so it wouldn’t get caught in the chain. I felt Thomas’ soft hands glide across the skin on my neck. I closed my eyes, focusing on his movements, even though I couldn’t see. I felt the cold chain on my warm body. I opened my eyes and glanced down at the necklace, that was now around my neck. I felt Thomas’ hand still touching my the skin of my neck, even though the necklace was secure on me. I take my right hand and place it over Thomas’ hand on my left shoulder. I feel him tense up a bit, before I grab his hand and squeeze it. Then I let go and turn towards Thomas. I didn’t hesitate. I pulled him into me. I needed him right now. Our lips connected and there was an instant spark. I smile into the kiss before moving my hand from his cheek to the back of his neck. Thomas’ hands run up and down my sides. Then he practically picks me up and set sme on his lap. I keep our lips from separating. Then I pull away for a moment to breath.

“Thomas,” I say, very breathy. He holds my face with his hands, keeping my face close to his. “I love you too,” I whisper in his ear, kissing it gently. I pull away from the side of Thomas’ face. I look at him and see a huge grin painted across his face. I smile in response. Then he takes the back of hand and runs it down the side of my face. Thomas then leans in one more time and kisses my lips, gently. I feel his soft, warm lips move on mine. That’s when the words ran through my head.

“I’m scared that if I told you that I love you and you don’t feel the same, our friendship would be over.”