That's My Boy

That’s My Boy

Thomas Pov

I walk through the front door and I hear the phone start to ring. I run over to our only home phone in the house. I grab it and answer it.

“Hello,” I say into the phone.

“Hello, Mr. Sangster. This is Principal Johnson, from West Valley High,” she said. I knew instantly that Carter did something. I just keep quiet, waiting for her to continue. “Your son… He got into a fight today...And, well I was wondering if you and your wife could come in for a conference,” Principal Johnson said.

“Yes, of course, but umm… (Y/N) died a month ago…” I say, trailing off. I can’t believe she didn’t know.  

“Oh my gosh! I’m so sorry!” she says, kind of panicky.

“It’s alright. Umm… I’ll be right there,” I say, hanging up the phone. Well, that was awkward. I quickly put my work stuff away and then walk back out to my car. I knew Carter wasn’t doing well, ever since… Then.

I get to school and walk towards the front doors. I see Carter sitting in the office, through the window. He sees me too and gives me a look I’ve seen before. The look that says ‘Dad, I know it was wrong, but I’m still hurting from Mom’s death’. He looks at me like that almost everyday now. I know it’s been very hard for him. Carter and (Y/N) were so close. I don’t know if he’ll ever recover from it. I know I won’t.

I walk into the office and sit next to Carter.

“Dad, I’m…” Carter begins.

“I know. It’s okay. I get it,” I say, laying my hand on his shoulder.

“No, Dad, but I have a good reason,” Carter tells me.

“Now what’s that?” I ask. I look into his green eyes. He has his mother’s eyes.

“This guy was talking about how great his mom is and then he… He said that Mom wasn’t as good as his mom. Then he said that it’s better for me that she died,” Carter said. By now he’s bawling on my shoulder. I pull him closer to me. “I didn’t want to hit him, but… Dad… He said that Mom isn’t worth crying over!” Carter said, sobbing.

“Carter, don’t listen to them. They don’t know,” I tell him. I’m crying too.

“I know, but Dad I can’t let them just say that kind of stuff about her,” Carter bawled.

“It’s okay. It’s over now,” I say, trying to comfort him.

“But it’ll never be over. Mom’s gone…” Carter cries. “She was too young,” he whispers after calming himself down. His tears have stopped falling.

“I know. She really was too young. Too loved,” I say, slowly. I felt a tear fall from my own eye now.

“Dad, it hurts…” Carter tells me. I don’t know what to say now. I’ve spent the last 16 years learning how to be a father, but this. No father should have to have this conversation with their kid. I just hold my son. That’s the only thing I can do for him right now. Just hold him. Then I feel a pair of eyes land on us.

“I’m sorry for interrupting…” I hear a woman say. I let go of Carter and turn towards the voice.

“No, it’s fine…” I say, glancing back at Carter. He nods his head and I get up. I walk over to Principal Johnson, she leads me into her office.

“Mr. Sangster Carter’s behavior…” she begins, after sitting at her desk. I cut her off there.

“My son was only defending his mother and if you want to punish him for that than so be it, but otherwise I need spend time with my son,” I tell her, not even bothering to sit down.
“Mr. Sangster if you are suggesting not punishing him for his actions then…” I cut her off again.

“I never said that. I said if you do punish him then so be it, but I’m leaving then. Carter’s mother died a month ago and now kids a making fun of him about it. That’s not right. So, if you’ll excuse me,” I say, walking towards the door.

“Mr. Sangster! Wait!” Mrs. Johnson says as I leave the room. I walk back to my son and we leave the school. I decide then and there that we aren’t coming back.

“Thanks Dad,” Carter says.

“For what?” I ask.

“I heard what you said and I appreciate it,” he tells me. I smile and sling my arm over his shoulder.