Our Child

Our Child

I drive our son to Thomas’ new house. I hate this. Every Friday night, dropping Wes off at his Dad’s. Wes doesn’t seem to mind… Yet. I know it will only get harder as he gets older, but now he’s only 4 and doesn’t get what has happened.

I just keep on driving. Every stop light we get closer and I think about it a little deeper. I think about leaving my child once again.

I slow down as I see Thomas’ driveway. He’s standing on his front porch, leaning on the railing. His head is dropped, so he’s staring at the grass and flowers in his front yard.

As I pull into his driveway, Thomas’ head lifts slowly. I can see him faking a smile. A smile I’ve gotten used to. I

I park the care and step out of the car. Then I open Wes’ door, helping out of the car. I hear Thomas slowly walking closer to us. Before he gets to the car, he stops and just stares at Wes and I. I kneel down in front of our little boy, placing my hands on his shoulders.

“Wes, Momma has to go now. I want you to be good for Daddy. Okay,” I say, looking him in the eyes.

“Okay, Mommy,” Wes replies. Then I pull him into a warm hug.

“I love you, baby,” I say in Wes’ ear.

“I love you too, Momma,” Wes replies. The lump in my throat grows. I feel a tear run down my face, but I try to stop myself from full out crying. Then I pull away. I see a big smile spread across Wes’ face as he sees his Dad. I fake the same smile Thomas was and watch Wes run over to him. Thomas picks him up and spins him around. Wes giggles like the little boy he is. I just slowly back away, watching my everything get further and further away from me. Thomas must notice because his fake smile turns genuine as he makes eye contact with me. Thomas sets down Wes.

“Wait… (Y/N)...” Thomas stutters. He steps closer to me, sticking out his hand for me to take. I just glance over at Wes, then shake my head. Thomas smile drops and so does his head.

“I’m sorry…” I say more to Thomas. Then I turn to Wes. “Goodbye,” I say. Then I turn around and run to my car. I back the car out of the driveway and watch Thomas pick Wes back up. They both watch me drive away. I turn around the first corner, then pull over in my normal spot. I stop my car on the side of the road and stare at the steering wheel. That’s when the tears come. The tears that I’ve been saving up all week and will let out all day.

I still love Thomas with all my heart, but we just weren’t working. He and I just kept growing further apart everyday.

I wish he still loved me.

Sometimes I wish we could go back to what we used to be, but other times I think it’s just better this way. Better to hurt separately then together.

I just hope Wes doesn’t hurt as much as I do. All I want is for Wes to be happy.

I am pulled out of my thoughts when I hear my phone ring. I look at it for a second and see that the caller ID says Thomas’ name. I so badly want to press ‘End’, but I answer it anyway.

“Hello,” I say simply.

“(Y/N), are you okay?” Thomas asks.

“As okay as I’ll ever be,” I reply.

“That’s not very reassuring,” Thomas tells me.

“Thomas, I’m fine,” I say kind of rudely. I hear Thomas sigh.

“(Y/N), I was just wanted to know if you were okay. You kind of ran off,” Thomas whispers.

“Thomas…” I say, not knowing what to say. I feel a tear fall from my eye.

“(Y/N), please come home. I miss you, more than anything else in the world. I need you by my side. I need your love. I need you…” It’s silent for a long time. Then I hear a knock on my car window. Slowly, I turn my head in that direction. I see Thomas standing there, his phone to his ear and tears in his eyes. “Open the door (Y/N),” Thomas says into the phone. I do as I’m told. Thomas stares at me for a while then he lunges forward. His hands connect to my face and his lips connect with my lips. I can feel his hands travel up and down my face, neck, and arms. I pull away for a second and look at Thomas.

“Thomas…” why can’t I think of anything to say. “I don’t think this is a good idea…” I whisper. Thomas shakes his head.

“No. No more of this,” he gestures towards me. “I love you and I’m sorry if I’ve been distant recently, but I'm willing and ready to make it up to you. If you’ll let me,” Thomas explains. I close my eyes for a moment and then I look up at Thomas. I can’t help myself from smiling as I lean in and kiss his soft lips.

“I love you too,” I tell him.