My Brave Soldier

My Brave Soldier

Thomas left for the Army over two years ago. I have only seen him three times in those two years. I spent most of that time either working or at home, alone. I didn’t go to see my family, who by the way aren’t very close to where I live, and I didn’t hang out with my friends. I’ve been alone most of the time. It’s kind of my fault though. When Thomas left I shut everyone else I loved out too. I don’t know why, I just did. Maybe it was the pain of feeling love, knowing my true love isn’t with me or maybe it was just the fact that when I came home I’d be alone again. I guess it just hurt less to be alone the whole time then be with people and then go home to be alone.

But today is different. He’s coming home, for good, today. I’ve been waiting for this day since Thomas left, over two years ago. I miss him so much, I can’t explain it in words. I wish he hadn’t joined the Army, but it wasn’t my choice. It was his.

I pace in my living room, waiting for time to fly by. I feel my phone buzz in the back pocket of my jeans. I pull it out with curiosity and urgency. I answer the call, without checking who it was. I knew it was going to be Thomas.

“Hello,” I said into the phone.

“Hello, love,” I hear a thick British accent say through the phone. I feel tears forming in my eyes. Just hearing his voice, tells me this is real.

“Thomas!” I practically shout into the phone. I want to see him so bad! I’m very excited, if you couldn’t already tell.

“(Y/N)!” Thomas yells mockingly. I let out a fake laugh and roll my eyes, even though Thomas can’t see me.

“Where are you?” I ask, very excitedly. I pretty sure Thomas can hear the excitement in my voice.

“On a plane. Where are you?” Thomas says matter of factly. Again I roll my eyes at him, even though he can’t see me.

“I’m at home. Waiting for you!” I practically yell into the phone.

“Wow, you must be pretty excited to see me,” Thomas says, like he doesn’t know how excited I am. Which he does. I called him every night this week to tell him how many days we still have apart.

“Excited. Pfftt… I’m way passed excited, I’m more in the completely and orderly overjoyed,” I explain to Thomas. I hear his let out a quiet chuckle on the other end of the phone. I miss his laugh. I miss him.

“I gotta go, love. I’ll call you as soon as I land,” Thomas informs me and I start shaking at the thought.

“Alright, I love you, Thomas,” I say into the phone.

“I love you too, (Y/N),” Thomas replies. I feel a single tear roll down my cheek and onto the smile that is plastered on my face.

“Bye,” I whisper.

“Bye,” Thomas replies. Then the line goes dead. That one word kills me inside. I feel more and more tears fall down my face. I curl up on the couch and eventually fall asleep.

I wake up to the sound of a car pulling into my driveway. I sit straight up as the headlights shine through the window and onto my face. I jump up from the couch and rush to the door. I swing open the front door and see Thomas getting out of his car. I run as fast as I can over to him. Thomas must notice me because he starts running at me. We run at each other until Thomas picks me up in a warm embrace and twirls me in circles. I snuggle my face into the crook of his neck. Thomas sets me back down on my feet. And I stare into his gorgeous brown eyes. I keep my arms wrapped around his neck and he keeps his arms snaked around my waist. I lay my forehead against his and stare up into his eyes even more. We start to sway, then we are full out dancing on our front yard. I don’t care if the neighbors stare. All I care about is holding the man I love.