One Birth One Death

One Birth One Death

“Thomas, the baby’s coming!” I whisper yell to my sleeping husband. I nudge him until he wakes up.

“What?” Thomas asks, groggily. I nudge him one more time until he’s wide awake. Thomas rubs his eyes then yawns.

“Thomas, the baby’s coming!” I tell him. Thomas eyes widen. Then he practically jumps out of bed, pulling me with him. I bend over in pain.

“Ahh!” I yell. Thomas wraps his hand around my waist, helping me walk down the stairs, to our car.

“Oww!” I scream, squeezing Thomas’ hand harder every contraction. I feel myself getting weaker and weaker. I can’t handle it anymore. When I feel relief, my exhaustion takes over. I hear the scream of a newborn then my whole world goes black.

Thomas Pov

“Mr. Sangster,” the doctor says. I stand up from my chair, in the waiting room. (Y/N) pasted out about two hours ago and they haven’t told me what’s going on.

“Right here,” I said, raising my hand over my head.

“Umm… Mr. Sangster, I’m afraid I have some good news and some bad news,” the doctor announces. The doctor looks at me with sad eyes and I can tell this is not going to be good.

“Alright,” I say simply.

“The good news is, your baby girl is doing great. She very healthy and very happy,” the doctor says. I let out a sigh of relief. The doctor takes a nervous, deep breath. “The bad news is, your wife…” the doctor says. He trails off. I feel my heart start to race. What happened to (Y/N)!

“What?!” I ask, kind of yelling. I feel anger, sadness, and confusion escape from my body from just that one word.

“She has passed,” the doctor informs me. I instantly drop to my knees. I can tell all eyes, in the waiting room, are on me, but I don’t care. I put my face in my hands and cry, no, bawl. I can’t take the hurt. I feel a hand on my shoulder. I don’t bother to look at the person, resting their hand on my shoulder. I just collapse into a ball on the floor and cry.

I don’t know how long I’ve been here, on the floor, crying, but it feels like forever. I can’t believe she’s gone. I feel more tears forming in my eyes just thinking about it.

“Thomas?” a woman says. I recognize the voice instantly as my mum. I lift my head from my knees and look up at my family. They all crouch down by me and then my dad pulls me up off the floor. I stumble a bit, my legs feeling weak from crying so much.

“How are you feeling, son?” Dad asked. I could see tears in his eyes.

“It hurts,” I spit out, my voice squeaks a bit.

“I know,” Dad told me, wrapping his arms around me, in a warm embrace.

I walk into (Y/N)’s room. There’s an empty bed and a note on the little table next to the bed. I picked it up and read it. Tears filled my eyes when I read the first words.

My dearest love,

Somehow I knew I was going to need this. I don’t know how, but I did. I just needed to tell you that I love you and I know you love me too. You may feel lost, hurt, mad, but you have to push those feelings away. I need you to raise our baby, no matter what happens to me. I need you to be strong for out baby.

Love (Y/N)

I feel tears pouring down my cheeks. I know (Y/N) is right. I have to be strong for our daughter. I decide to go see our baby.

I stumble over to the room where my baby has been asleep. I look through the window to see our baby, laying in a small crib. Our daughter looks just like (Y/N). I can’t take my eyes off our beautiful baby girl.

“Would you like to hold her?” the nurse asks from behind me. She makes me jump a bit, but I nod in response. She leads me into the room filled with sleeping babies. The nurse finds our daughter and picks her up, softly. Then she hands her to me and I cradle her in my arms.

“I’ll give you a moment,” the nurse tells me, then leaves us. I look into her eyes.

“I’m going to love you so much,” I tell out baby. Her eyes flutter open and I can almost see a smile on her tiny face. “I know it’s gonna be hard, but I’ll alway be here for you. Mommy told me to be strong for you and that’s what I’m gonna do. I’ll never let you go,” I whisper to her. I hold her close to me.

“I love you so much, my little baby girl,” I tell her.