The Baby Project Part 3

5 Years Later

Thomas comes around the car to open the door for me. He’s been doing this since the first I rode in his car. When I went to his house to take care of our baby doll.

Now instead of Thomas going to the back seat to get our baby doll, he went to go get our real baby.

This our first time home since I had Azalea. And yes, we did name her Azalea after our doll. Thomas said it would be fun to have our real daughters name be the same name of our baby doll.

Thomas carries the car seat into the house. Our house.

Azalea is asleep so I take this chance to do the same. I crawl into our bed and lay my head on my pillow. I close my eyes, but then I feel the bed shake and the blankets lift. The cool air hits my warm body, causing me to shiver. Then I feel Thomas’ arms wrap around my body, pulling me closer to him, practically on top of him.

“I can’t believe this is real,” Thomas whispers. I open my eyes and his gaze meets mine.

“What?” I ask. Tilting my head up to look into his eyes.

“Us. A baby... We’re a family now,” Thomas says, tucking a piece of my hair behind my ear.

“I know. It feels like just yesterday we were taking care of our baby doll for class,” I laugh.  Thomas chuckles a bit too. I lay my head back down, on his chest. I feel his chest rise and fall, continuously. My eyes get heavy and I begin to drift off into sleep.

I wake up to the sound of Azalea cooing. My eyes flutter open and I notice that my head is no longer rising and falling at the pace of Thomas’ breathing. I sit up, realizing Thomas isn’t in bed with me anymore. I slowly get up and walk out of our room to see Thomas, holding our daughter.

“Hey,” I say, walking up from behind him and wrapping my arms around his waist. Then I lay my lips on his neck and kiss it lightly.

“Morning Sleeping Beauty” he says back. I roll my eyes at his comment.

“When did she wake up?” I ask Thomas, kissing his neck again.

“About two hours ago,” Thomas tells me. My eyes widen and I tilt my head so that he can see my expression.

“What?! You’ve been watching her for two hours! Babe, why didn’t you wake me up?” I say, throwing my hands in the air. I’m surprised he didn’t freak out or screw up in two hours. When we had the baby doll he called me at least once a night, in the middle of the night, on a lucky day.

“I didn’t want to wake you, Love,” he tells me, rocking Azalea from side to side.

“Wow, I’m impressed,” I say, as I watch Azalea’s mouth curl up into a small smile. Then I look up at Thomas and he is doing the same. I can’t help, but smile too. “So, how was it?” I ask him.

“How was what?” Thomas asks, tilting his head up to look at me.

“Watching Azalea,” I say, placing my hand on her head, rubbing circles on her forehead with my thumb.

“Oh...Um… It was good. She just wanted her bottle, then to be changed,” Thomas explains. I kiss his cheek.

“Thank you,” I say.

“For what?” Thomas asks, as Azalea’s eyes slowly shut. I stumble with my words, thinking of something to tell him. As I do, Thomas lays Azalea back in her crib.

“For everything,” I say, as Thomas envelopes me in a hug. I lay my head in the crook of his neck as Thomas chuckles a bit. Then he pulls away to look into my eyes.

“Every day I fall for you a little more,” Thomas tells me. I smile and lay back down on his chest.