And We Just Danced

And We Just Danced

Thomas Pov

I wipe down the bar whilst clearing off empty beer bottles from the counter. Yes, I am a bartender. It’s not the best job, but it pays the bills. I move over to the small, circle tables around the room. I stroll over to the first table that’s filled with empty glasses and bottles. I use my damp rag to scrub the table. Then my foot hits something, kind of soft, on the floor. I lay my rag on the table then I crouch down to investigate. I can’t see much in the dimness of the bar so I feel around to see what it is. I pick it up and examine it. It seems to be a purse. I take it and put it on the bar then continue cleaning.

About twenty minutes later I hear the door. I turn to see who it is. The person stands in the shadows, but I can vaguely see the person’s silhouette. The person’s figure resembles a woman.

“Um… Sorry we are closed,” I stutter.

“Yeah, I know, it’s just that I forgot my purse and I was freaking out,” the woman tells me. Her voice was sort of panicky and rushed. I smile a bit, knowing that her purse is the one I found under the table.

“Oh, well I just found one, under this table,” I explain to the woman whilst pointing my finger at the table I had found it under. “I bet it’s yours. It’s on the bar if you want to go see,” I tell the woman. She walks closer to me with every word I say. I start to see her features as she walks into the light. Her green eyes practically glow in the dark. Her long, brown, wavy hair bounces as she moves. Her whole body moves in a way that mesmerises me. She sways a bit with every step. The woman bites her lip nervously. She walks over to me, so we are face to face. We stare into each others eyes for a while. Then I break the eye contact by walking over to the bar and grabbing her purse. Then I stride back over to her, as she waits in the dim light. I then set her purse down on the the table next to the woman and keep walking over to the radio that sits in the corner of the room. I turn on my favorite station, the oldies. One of my favorite songs comes on, ‘Hey Jude’. Then I make my way back over to the woman, who still waits at the table I left her at.

“The only way you get to take your purse with you is if you dance with me,” I tell the woman, while smirking flirtatiously. I watch the women pretend to debate about it, like it was actually a choice. Then she wrapped her arms around my neck and pulled me close. The woman laid her head on my chest. I snaked my arms around her waist and pulled her even closer. She smelt good, like a beach mixed with flowers. If that’s even a scent. Then the woman’s head lifts from my shoulder and she stares at me with a confused look.

“What’s your name?” she asks me.

“Thomas. What’s yours?” I respond, giving her a warm smile.

“(Y/N),” she tells me. I can’t stop smiling.

“That’s a beautiful name,” I tell her. She smiles back now.

“Thank you. I was named after my grandmother,” (Y/N) explains to me.

“Really? That’s really cool,” I reply. Now we are both grinning uncontrollably. (Y/N) lays her head back down on my chest. I feel her snuggle up into me and I just hold her tighter. When the song ends, neither of us let go. We stay close, swaying side to side. (Y/N) arms still around my neck and her head still on my chest. My hands still holding her waist.

“I like you Thomas,” (Y/N) tells me, sort of speaking into my chest. I just smile as we keep on dancing in the dim light of the bar.