The Text

The Text

I ate lunch with my friends at the food court. Thomas, Kaya, Dylan, and Ki all sat at a table with me.

I took a bite of my sandwich at that same moment I felt my phone buzz. I quickly chewed as I checked my phone.

It was a text from my brother, Jake.

(Y/N), please call ASAP!

I became a little nervous from this text. Oh no what happened? I began to feel my hands shake, so I excused myself and walked over in the corner of the food court. I dialed my Jake’s number and heard 2 rings before she picked up.

“(Y/N)?” my brother said urgently over the phone.

“Jake? What’s wrong?” I ask.

“It’s our sister,” Jake says simply. I gasp knowing what’s happening. Ever since my sister, Kellie, turned 12 she has had diabetes. That same year my parents were in a car accident and killed. So us kids had to stick together.

Now she’s 17 and she’s getting worse. Her sugar gets lower faster. Kellie’s sugar will get drastically low in the middle of the night and my brother, who takes care of her, will have to call the ambulance sometimes because it gets so bad. When I left home 3 years ago, I was so nervous leaving Kellie with Jake. I didn’t know if Jake could handle it by himself, btu he said he could and that I should go pursue my acting career. I always find myself worrying about them. This is why.

“(Y/N)...” Jake’s voice cracks as he says my name. I hear him sobbing on the other end of the phone.

“Jake what happened?” I ask, more forcefully. I feel a lump grow in my throat and tears fall from my eyes.

“Kellie… Died…” Jake whimpers. I drop my phone. My whole body just stops working., My legs turn to jelly and I fall to the floor. I curl up into a ball on the floor. I’m in too much shock to even cry. I just lay there.

“(Y/N)!” I hear a british accent yell. Then I hear footsteps increase in speed and loudness. I feel a pair of cold hands roll me over so I’m sitting on his lap. “(Y/N)? What happened?” I hear the voice ask. I decide to look up to see who it is. I see a dirty blond mop and perfect brown eyes. Thomas. I should’ve known by his voice, but I guess my mind and body aren’t working right.

“Kellie…” I say. I see Thomas’ face soften as he realizes what has happened.

“Oh my gosh, (Y/N), I’m so sorry… I know how much your sister meant to you,” Thomas stutters. That’s when it hits me. My sister is dead. I collapsed my body on Thomas and wrap my arms around his neck. My eyes fill with tears and they all fall onto Thomas’ shoulder.

“Thomas… It hurts…” I say as I lift my head to look into his eyes. When I do, I see something I never did before. I see love. I see hope. I see care. All the things us kids shared.

I decide to take the chance of a life time. I lean in and kiss him. Thankfully, the kiss makes me forget about the news I just heard.

Thomas pulls away and I see a surprised look on his face.

“I’m sorry… It’s just…” Thomas cuts me off as he pulls me back into the kiss. This time he leaves me surprised.

“I’ve wanted to do that since I met you,” Thomas tells me, leaning his forehead against mine.