𝐏𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐈: Chapter 17

It was Jungkook's 21st birthday.

I knew he told me he never likes to celebrate his birthday but I made sure to bake him a cake to surprise him when he wakes up for work.

It had been a week since that scary situation happened between us. But I chose to move past it. I can imagine the amount of stress he's going through with work. There were times he would come home early in the morning. I assumed he slept in his office at Jeon Enterprise. But I guess the stress is really getting to him.

He always reek of alcohol that I think he tries to mask heavily with his cologne. I wonder what cologne he been using lately? He smells like the usual sensual, rich, and musky fragrant. But I've notice there's a hint of sweetness lately.

I was drying my hands on the towel, finally feeling my muscles relaxing that the cake was all prepared when my eyes shifts towards the kitchen doorway.

Jungkook walks in with his usual attire but in all black from head to toe. Rolled up black dress shirt tucked into a black dress pants with black dress shoes. Even his watch was black today, which was usually either silver or gold.

He abruptly stop as he looks around the messy kitchen and then to me but I run towards him, embracing him in my arms. "Happy birthday, baby!" His body became tense, but I still held him firm smelling his fresh warm scent.

Once I pull away, I steer him towards the cake on the island table. "I made you a cake."

He shook his head, standing emotionless. He didn't say a word, as he gaze at the cake then back to my doeful eyes. My heart was sinking at his expression and sank deeper when he sighs. "I gotta go. I can't be late for work."

He gives me a stiff peck on the cheek and walked away.

I stood still, feeling heartbroken. I look down at my cake that I worked hard on, hoping it would have had made him happy but it seems like it didn't. Maybe he just doesn't like cakes?

I pulled out one of the stool chairs from the island table and sat silently. I sigh in frustration with myself.

"Cute cake."

I turn my head around to see Taehyung, as he make his way beside me. I try to force a smile, but I didn't have the energy.

"It looks delicious too." He looks at the cake then at me. "Can I try?"

"Uhh...yeah of course you can." I smile, finally feeling a sort of happiness.

I grab him a fork and give it to him. Once he ate a piece of the cake, his eyes lit up. "Strawberry shortcake. It's my favourite and so is Jungkook."

My small smile soon turns downwards remembering what had happened moments ago.

"It's delicious y/n." He lifts my chin up to face his reassuring eyes. He then takes the fork in his hand and took a piece of cake and bring it to my mouth. "Here try it."

I couldn't help but smile. I knew he was trying to make me feel better. I open my mouth and taste the cake I made. It really was good.

"I didn't know you can bake a cake too." He gives me a half smile. "You gotta teach me one day."

"You're interested in baking?" I ask, raising an eyebrow. From what Jin told me, Taehyung hates anything that has to do with cooking but loves food.

He didn't answer for a moment "Uh...No." He bluntly admit. "But with you, I feel like it would be fun."

Before I could answer, there was a ding sound. It was a text tone notification coming from Taehyung. It ding two more times when he finally pull out his iPhone out of his pocket and his soft expression darkens when he glance at his screen.