Epilogue 6: Blaze

We had been living in California for a little over a year now and honestly I loved it here but I could tell Devin was missing Texas though he never really said anything, I could just see it in his eyes. We were taking the twins to the beach today and honestly being out here on the ocean was the only time Devin seemed completely at peace, as we were getting ready Devin kept checking his watch as if he was waiting for something but every time I would ask he would just smile and say 'all good things', Darion came running into our room with Odion chasing after him, since moving here they had really come into their own. Darion was more passive and quiet but once he opened up it was hard to get him to stop talking, Odion on the other hand was aggressive and he had a mean streak to him that reminded me a lot of how Devin was when I first met him though Odion was much better at hiding his sneakiness than Devin ever was.

"Devin we should really get going......" I said checking my watch, if we timed this correctly then by the time we were done the twins should be tired out and we could feed them, give them their baths and put them in bed right on schedule. "Odi what do you have in your mouth?" I asked and he gave me that troublemaker smile I came to expect from him whenever he was up to no good, he smiled and ran away causing Devin to laugh.

"Here let me show you how it's done, Darion come here you want a cookie?" Devin asked turning to Darion and that seemed to get Odion's attention because he slowly started moving back towards Devin. "You want some too Odi?" Devin asked still smiling as Odion stopped right in front of him. "Let me see what you got in your mouth." Devin said and Odion pulled out a penny and started smiling.

"Where'd he get that from?" I asked irritated and Devin shrugged as he handed both the twins an Oreo. "Alright let's get down to this beach." I said picking up Darion while Devin grabbed Odion, the beach was literally in our backyard so we had to make sure we had a secure fence so that twins didn't sneak out whenever they felt like it.

"Odion stop throwing sand at your brother." Devin said chasing the twins around the secluded beach as I sat back and watched my family with a smile on my face. "You little monster....." Devin said as Darion joined his brother in throwing sand at Devin while I laughed because they loved torturing Devin.

"Devin you're going to be the one cleaning all that damn sand up." I said walking over to him and brushing some sand out of his hair.

"So I was just a reminder our anniversary is coming up and I got something special planned for you, the thing is we're going to need someone to watch those two little monsters." Devin said looking at the twins who were playing in the sand.

"Is that what you were doing earlier on the phone? Planning our anniversary...." I said running my fingers across the tattoo of my name across his chest and Devin nodded. "Well I got something special planned too, so why don't you tell me what you have planned so we don't mess up each other's plans." I said and Devin opened his mouth to tell me but then stopped.

"See I almost slipped up and told you now I'm going to have to be on guard........ Darion put that down!" Devin yelled as Darion started chasing Odion with a crab or something. "Man come on y'all wanna help daddy buried papa?" Devin asked and the both tackled me.

"Nah y'all are going to help me bury your dad." I said pulling Devin to the sand and we spent the next few hours burying each other until the sun started going down. "Ayy you wanna start dinner while I get them cleaned up." I said kissing Devin as he took the twins upstairs. Once I started cooking of course someone decided to call my phone, I looked at my phone and though I didn't recognize the number I did know the 254 area code. "Hello...." I said trying to keep my voice even.

"Torian......" My mother said and I felt my heart start to accelerate, I'm not going to lie she sounded a lot different, healthier than the last time we spoke which was the day of me and Devin's wedding. "I know you and me haven't had the best relationship in the past and I know I haven't been the best mother in the world so you have reason to want to talk to me I just thought you should know that I've gotten my life together and I would really like a chance to start over and meet my grandchildren." She said quietly and I was torn because this wouldn't be the first time she has said those exact same words and let me down every single time but on the other hand I was in a place in my life where I had forgiven everyone who had ever done me wrong.

"Mom.... I'll be willing to give it a shot but we got a long way to go before I let you get close to the twins. You gotta show me that you're serious about staying clean." I said looking up as Darion came running downstairs completely covered in bubbles and Devin chasing him until he slipped and busted his ass. "Mom, call me back in a couple days and we can discuss meeting up in the future." I said hanging up and helping Devin off the ground all while trying not laugh as Odion came downstairs and started jumping on the couch with his brother.

"They jumped me..... Odion sprayed me in the eyes with soap while Darion escaped." Devin said rubbing his eyes.

"How about you take care of the cooking while I take care of the monsters." I said picking the twins up and taking them up to the bathroom. "Why are y'all always giving your dad such a hard time when it comes to taking baths? I mean y'all never give me any problems." I said and they both started smiling. Once the twins were in bed me and Devin were sitting on the porch looking up at stars.

"You know this place is really starting to grow on me....." Devin said pulling me into his arms.

"Really I didn't think you liked it here, it just seems like your heart isn't really feeling California I mean you just seemed happier in Texas." I said looking at him.

"It's not that I don't like it here, it just takes some getting use to, beside I'm happy wherever I am as long as I'm with you and the little monsters. Don't get me wrong, I do miss Texas some times mainly our family but I like the peace we have here no drama, no worries besides Darion and Odion who are getting bigger and smarter..... one of these days I'm not going to be able to take them." Devin said laughing.

"You can't take them now Shrimp Dick, didn't they 'jump' you earlier? Just wait until they get older they're going to give you hell..... they already know not to mess with me." I said laughing.

"You say that now......" Devin said kissing me. "So I was thinking maybe we could take a trip down to Texas soon, I heard the conversation you had with your mom and I know the boys would love to see their cousins I say we knock that all out in one trip but it's completely up to you no pressure." Devin said sensing my body tense up at the thought of coming face to face with my mom.

"Yeah we can do that but there's another thing we have to do......." I said turning to face him because what I was about to propose could be exactly what we both needed or it could be a complete disaster but I felt it in my soul it was something we both needed............