🦁The Usurper from the Wild🦁 Chapter 15

"...." Jack stares at the two upperclassmen.

"And what are YOU doin' up so late? Need somebody to sing you a lullaby?" Leona asks with his hands on his hips.

"Maybe I'll give it a shot! Shyeheehee!" Ruggie snickers.

"I want to know why. Why are you doing this?" Jack asks the two.

"Huh. So, it's a bedtime story you're after. All right, I got one for you," Leona says as he crosses his arms. "We went up against Malleus's Diasomnia team in round one of the tournament two years running. We were eliminated both times. We got a wall fulla championships trophies, but they ran circles around us like we were still in diapers, and that disgrace was broadcast to the entire world. I looked like an incompetent moron, and not the pro league recruiters, well, they pass right by Savanaclaw."

"But that's because we weren't good enough!" Jack shouts.

"You're right about that," Leona agrees. "Last year, you could certainly say that we didn't give the tournament our all. Only a total moron would have thought we could win, but that's how naïve we were. We never even came up with a plan or nothin', and we've got the nerve to claim Savanaclaw honors the tenacity of the King of Beasts! What a joke," Leone chuckles sadly.

"But that's exactly why acting like cowards and cutting down our opponents is so wrong!" Jack glares at Leona.

Jack's words reminded him of what Angel said, in which Leona only glares at Jack. "'Wrong,' you say? Jack, who do you think I'm doing this for? I'm thinkin' about you and your dormmates here! This is about crushing Malleus and restoring Savanaclaw's reputation! The headmage said if you don't win this year, Malleus is getting induced in the hall of fame. That means this is our last chance to beat him, and you're gonna throw it away over...what? Some moral superiority complex?"

Jack is taken aback by the words, looking away from Leona. "But...I..."

"Using your wits to corner your prey is part of the hunt. There's nothing cowardly about it," Leona states.

"Shyeheehee! Night Raven operates on the survival of the fittest. Nice guys don't last long here," Ruggie adds.

"But Housewarden, if you got serious about playing, we could actually be a threat to Diasomnia!" Jack yells looking at Leona. "I saw the way you played three years ago! I'll never forget it!" Jack says as he clenches his fists at the memory.

"What do YOU know about ANYTHING, frosh?!" Leona shouts at Jack. "You want me to 'get serious about playing'? Hah! Now you're the one who's naïve. It wouldn't change a thing," Leona says as he turns around, sending a glance at Jack. "Get outta my sight."

"..." Jack could only look at Leona, clenching his jaw and leaves, a bad feeling coming up to him as he walks further and further away from the room.

Ruggie could only watch the freshman leave, releasing a sigh. "That boy could be a problem. You want me to take care of him?" Ruggie asks Leona, who only looks out the window.

"No. Don't," Leona says. "Even if he goes and blabs it all to Crowley, he ain't got a shred of proof, and besides, that'd be a terrible waste of talent. Just make sure you keep an eye on him."

"Understood," Ruggie says as he leaves the room. Leona could only glance at the boy leaving, making him click his tongue.

"Tch. Stupid frosh...Talkin' like he's better than me," Leona says bitterly as he looks outside.

As Angel is about to sleep, she sees a brief vision of a figure standing, darkness inching closer as the figure only stands there. The vision only occurs for a moment before it disappeared, making her think about what it could mean. Crowley's words echo in her head. "There were signs of someone experience the onset of overblot; however, they could not act on it until after it has passed." Angel could think about it briefly as she falls asleep.