sinking in

Based on the song by Katelyn Tarver

---------------------------------------------

"Like a childhood room when you're home for a long weekend. Everything's the same but it all feels different"

Taylor walked upstairs and threw her bag down on the floor before collapsing next to you on the bed. You stared at her, hoping she was in a much better mood than she was earlier. She looked up at you and noticed that you were staring at her. "What?" You shook your head at her before looking back down at your phone. The time was a little after midnight. She used to never come home this late but things have been a little tense between you lately. It was the same in most aspects of your relationship; she still tells you she loves you and she still kisses you goodbye before she leaves every morning, but it felt different these days. You hoped that it was all in your mind though. You couldn't handle losing her.

"Cause letting go of you feels like i'm letting go of me. Without you here I wouldn't know who I am or who to be. If I walk away I'm scared i'll never see you again but i'm fighting for a memory i'm starting to forget. Cause the thought of losing you is sinking in"

Another day, another fight with Taylor. You don't even remember how it all started at this point. You just wanted it to stop. Taylor kept raising her voice and you kept crying. You were frustrated, losing hope that things would get back to the way they used to be. Words were being tossed around, both of you saying things that neither of you meant. "Maybe you should just leave then!" She yelled out and in the heat of the moment you could only reply with "Maybe I will!"

Taylor looked at you with tears in her eyes before she slammed her fist on the counter. You went upstairs, packing and unpacking your suitcase over and over again till you threw it on the floor and sat down on the bed. You had the chance to think things through now that Taylor was downstairs. Things have been rough lately, but are they really that bad? So bad that you both wanted to call it quits and just... give up? Letting go of her made you feel as though you were letting go of yourself too. You swallowed your pride, realizing then that you couldn't walk away. you love her too much, to much to lose her and to walk away. You couldn't handle not seeing her again.

"don't leave me here"

You walked down the stairs slowly, step by step. Taylor's head shot up when she heard your footsteps. You swallowed thickly and took the last few steps to her before you sat down next to her. You both sat in silence. Every fear that you've ever had about losing Taylor was flooding back. You didn't wanna lose her. "Taylor?" She looked at you and sighed heavily, going to speak until you interrupted her. "Wait. Let me talk, please." She nodded and you tried to hold back your tears, but you failed and they started to fall. "I don't wanna lose you. I don't know what's happened to us lately, but I'm really scared I'm gonna lose you. I'm sorry for whatever i've done to make things this way, but please don't go. Don't leave me here."

Taylor reached out to grab your hands. She rubbed her thumb across your knuckles before moving her other hand to cup your chin. "Baby" she whispered, so softly and with such care that it made you cry all over again. Taylor pulled you onto her lap and cupped your cheeks. You kept your eyes on her shorts, trying not to look into her eyes. "Y/n look at me" she rubbed her thumbs across your cheeks and you sniffled before looking into her beautiful eyes. "I am never going to leave you, not now and not ever. I know things have been tense, I know they have, but I love you so much. We can fix this. We'll work together and patch up everything that we've damaged. But don't you dare blame yourself for things changing, I'm just as responsible as you. But we will fix this.I'm not gonna go anywhere. I know we both said things we didn't mean back there but I wanna put it behind us, okay?"

You nodded your head and kissed her softly, her hands rubbed your back and when you pulled away you rested your head on her shoulder as she held you in her arms for the first time in a long time. If you worked together, you could fix everything that went wrong and it was clear that you were both willing to do just that.