all I want for Christmas is you

Taylor let out a loud groan of frustration. This couldn't be happening. Not now.

Christmas is right around the corner, only two days away, and her flight home got cancelled last minute. "Do you happen to know when the next one will go out?" The worker looked at her with a sad expression. "I'm so sorry, I don't think there'll be any until the storm passes in three days."

"But that's the day after Christmas! My girlfriend is waiting for me at home. You don't have any before then? I don't care how much it costs, I just have to get home to her." She ran a hand through her hair. She felt so stressed and scared, and all she wanted was to get home to you. "I'll let you know if any open up. I'm so sorry."

Taylor knew there was no point in arguing. She nodded her head and took a seat in a faraway corner away from everyone else. With tears in her eyes, she pulled out her pulled her phone out and clicked on your name. She put it up to her ear and the first of many tears fell from her eyes when your voice came on the phone.

"Hey, Tay. Is everything okay? Shouldn't you be on the plane already?" She bit her lip and held back her tears. "Baby... my flight got cancelled. There's some storm coming that's preventing everyone from leaving. I'm so sorry darling."

She couldn't see your face, and you were thankful for that, as tears streamed down your cheeks endlessly. "Oh. That's okay. I understand." Your voice was wavering even though you tried to stop it. "Honey, I promise I'm gonna try to get back before Christmas day. If a flight opens up I'm taking it, I don't care what I have to do. I'm not gonna give up, okay?"

You sobbed but mumbled a sad 'okay' anyways. "I love you, Taylor." She smiled a sad smile, not caring who saw. "I love you lots. I'll be home for Christmas, I promise." She heard you sniffle before the call ended and she threw her head back against the wall and cried, knowing deep down that you were crying too.

She spent the night in that uncomfortable chair. She paced the airport the following morning for hours upon hours. She wanted to call you, but she knows you're probably too sad to speak so she stuck to texting instead. It was more of a one-word response, but you did tell her that you love her and you're hoping and praying that she makes home in time.

Taylor knows why this is especially rough on you. Your family is thousands of miles away. This was supposed to be your first Christmas together, just the two of you, in your brand new home together. She wanted to make it special for you and now she feared that this was gonna be the worst Christmas ever.

But then, a voice came over the loudspeaker. Informing everyone who was on the flight that got cancelled that the storm was passing over and their flight would be taking off in a few hours. It was some sort of miracle but Taylor wasn't gonna complain about it. She was debating on telling you but when she checked the time she realized it was close to midnight and she knew you were probably asleep by then.

She boarded her red-eye flight just an hour or so later and she counted the hours down till she'd be home. She realized it was Christmas at that moment and she listened to all your favourite Christmas songs on the way home. She barely got any sleep. She was just too excited to hold you back in her arms, after thinking that she wouldn't be able to for one of the most special occasions and one of the most important ones to you.

Her flight landed and she took an uber home, tipping him extra as he made sure to get her there as quickly as possible. She grabbed her bags and got out. 9 am. Just in time. She put her bags on the ground and knocked on the door. "Just a second!" She heard your voice ring out and her heart fluttered a little.

You opened the door just a moment later and the smile that appeared on your face when you saw that it was Taylor made her feel like everything she'd gone through over these past couples days, to get to this very moment with you, was all worth it.

You leapt into her arms and threw your arms around her neck. "You're home! You're really home! You made it!" Taylor grinned and carried you and her bags inside before giving you a kiss. "I'm home, beautiful girl. I promised you I would be." You gave her a kiss on her cold cheek as she put you back on your feet but still held you in her arms.

She leaned her forehead on yours and looked into your eyes, noticing they were filled with tears. "Hey, come on now, no crying." you chuckled and kissed her again. "They're happy tears, I swear. I'm so happy you're here. Do you wanna open the gift I got you?" Taylor shook her head. "In a little while. right now I wanna bask in this moment with you. I've got all I wanted for Christmas right here, right now. You." You buried your face in her neck and thanked the universe for bringing her home. Because she's all you want for Christmas, too.