family isn't always blood related (requested)

It was a quiet night in for you, Taylor, and Carter. Carter was curled up with you both while his favorite movie - incredibles 2 - played on the tv. He had his feet on Taylor's lap and his head on yours, his little laugh was all you could hear and it made your heart flutter.

He's only five but he's the most intelligent and most incredible little human. He looks just like you, the spitting image of you, which is something you never get tired of people telling you.

There was a knock at the door which made you jump. You sat up and put Carter onto Taylor's lap and you kissed his head softly. "I'll be right back" you whispered to him as he cuddled up to Taylor. You jogged over to the door - you're not sure what you're expecting to see but you never thought it'd be him - Luke - Carter's dad. For the first time in nearly six years he was standing right in front of you. "What are you doing here?" He was silent for a few seconds before he tried to reach out to grab your hand.

"I wanna see my son." You scoffed at him. You didn't know what else to do or what to say, but it only took you a moment to find your voice. "Are you serious right now? Where was almost six years ago? You told me that you never wanted a family." He attempted to reach for your hand once more only for you to pull further away from him. "You can't keep him from me y/n. He's my son."

"Your son?" You were about to say something else when you heard Taylor's voice from behind you.
"Y/n? Everything okay?" She walked up behind you and put her hand on your back. "Not really. Taylor this is Luke. He's Carter's dad." Taylor got a little tense at that word. "Oh... So why are you here?" Luke looked between you and Taylor and folded his arms over your chest. "I'm here to see my son." Taylor had a few words on the tip of her tongue but you grabbed her hand and gave it a squeeze, a silent way of telling her that you had it all under control.

"You don't know anything about your son. You've never shown any interest in him before. You told me that you didn't want him, that you didn't want a family, and as hard as that was for me - I accepted it. But you don't get to come back now, when he's five years old, and tell me you want to see him. You've missed out on everything; every christmas, every birthday, every easter, every halloween, every single day that means something to him. But you know who's been here for all of those days? Taylor." Taylor couldn't help but crack a smile at you. "She's been here for everything. Not you. She's been here for everything. Every school activity, every doctors appointment, every halloween, every birthday, every christmas, every single day of his life."

Luke lowered his head as if he was ashamed but that quickly changed and he looked back up at you with a glare in his eyes. He was about to argue with you until a little voice was heard from a distance. "Mommy?" You heard Carter say as he ran over to you and hugged your legs. It was as if he could sense that something wasn't right and he wanted to be close to you. "Buddy?" Luke said as his heart started to pick up speed in his chest. Carter lifted his head and looked over at Luke and when Luke tried to reach out for him, he instinctively hid behind Taylor's legs. She bent down and picked him up in her arms and rubbed his back while he tucked his face in her neck.

"What's his name?" Luke hesitantly asked you. He was hesitant because he felt embarrassed and a little ashamed. He doesn't even know his own sons name, but he needs to. "Carter." You ran your fingers through Carter's hair and it made him giggle. "Hey Carter. I'm your dad." Carter furrowed his brows and shook his head. Luke frowned and tugged at his hair. "Buddy... don't you wanna get to know me? I'm your dad, I love you." Carter shook his head once more and clung on to Taylor. "No. I got my moms." Taylor smiled despite how sad the situation seemed, her heart so full of love for the little boy in her arms.

Luke looked at you angrily, practically seething with jealousy. "I want custody of him. i want my son." You stifled a laugh and smiled a little cockily at him. "You won't get him. You haven't seen him at all before. He might be your son but he's five years old and not once have you reached out to even try to see him before. He's the most amazing little boy in the world and you've missed out on that. You only have yourself to blame." You looked back at him and noticed that his eyes were closed. "I'm not gonna go down without a fight." Taylor whispered to Luke making him scoff at her. "You have no blood relation to him."

Taylor looked down at Carter who was fast asleep in her arms. "Maybe not, but family isn't always blood related. This little boy means the world to me and i'll do whatever it takes to make sure he stays right here. You have no case, no chance at getting him." Luke was the angriest you've ever seen him. "Time for you to go Luke." He stared at Taylor, seething and grinding his teeth together. "Fine, but i'll be back." He walked away before you could say anything else.

You closed the door and locked it. "I'm gonna go put him up to bed." Taylor said and you nodded, pressing a soft kiss to Carter's forehead. "I love you so much, my little man. Sweet dreams." You whispered and kissed his head. You took a seat on the couch and waited for Taylor to come back downstairs and when she did she immediately embraced you in the biggest hug. "You doing okay?" She kissed your head and you looked up at her, giving her a small smile and kissing her nose. "Yeah. I'm okay. I know he won't be able to get custody of him." Taylor nodded and let you rest your head on her chest. "Exactly. Carter will be just fine. No need to worry, darling. I promise that everything will be okay."