Chapter 9 - Contract (1)

To Kang Woo-jin’s performance as Park Dae-ri. Star writer Park Eun-mi, who wrote ‘Profiler Hanryang’ said,

“Alright, You start right away.”

She couldn’t take her eyes off Kang Woo-jin across from her for a moment. She had to capture every detail – the look in his eyes, his tone of voice, his gestures, his breathing, his expressions.

“I stepped in dog poop.”

The reason was simple.

‘How… how can he portray the character I created so accurately? No, this has gone beyond mere accuracy.’

The character he portrayed was identical to the Park Dae-ri she had created, yet Kang Woo-jin’s portrayal seemed much more vivid and alive. Ah, does saying ‘alive’ make sense since he is, indeed, a living person? In this way, writer Park Eun-mi’s thoughts became strangely tangled.

‘Park Dae-ri is right in front of me.’

The character she had created through agonizing, restless nights was right before her eyes. That was undoubtedly Park Dae-ri, a character filled with psychopath data. Soon, writer Park Eun-mi felt both excitement and a slight sense of fear.

The characters in the work are created by the writer, but they are portrayed by the actor.

That’s why a perfect portrayal was almost impossible. No matter how excellent the actor’s analysis of the work is, the actor can’t get into the writer’s mind. It’s hard to portray every single setting detail that the writer created.

Thanks to this, the writer has to compromise to some extent.

Even if there are minor errors in the acting shown by the actor, they let it slide, they tolerate differences in the tone of the dialogues, and they understand if the actions differ from the original creation.

This wasn’t only experienced by writer Park Eun-mi.

It was one of the experiences that all scriptwriters in Korea, perhaps all over the world, went through, and the quicker they acknowledged the gap between the actual scene and the writer’s vision, the faster the writer’s growth was.

However.

‘I wrote this… but I can’t see my writing.’

The crazy actor performing in front of her didn’t need to compromise. Kang Woo-jin was already overshadowing the script beneath him.

If writer Park Eun-mi felt this way, everyone else must have felt similar.

The character created by the writer. He firmly maintains it without wavering and gives it dozens of times more vividness. That was Kang Woo-jin right now.

And this was…

“······”

A sight even Park Eun-mi, lauded as a top-tier star writer in Korea, had never seen before. So she couldn’t help but be captivated. She had already worked with hundreds, if not thousands of actors.

If he’s the first among them,

‘Kang Woo-jin, definitely. I must get him.’

A term like ‘precious’ was not enough to describe him, an unparalleled actor she might never meet again. That was what Park Eun-mi, who had witnessed such an incredible existence right before her eyes, meant.

-Tap.

The look or the judging eye didn’t matter much to her.

“Woo-jin, please take on the role of Park Dae-ri. It has to be you.”