Chapter 135 - Backer (3)

The first screening of ‘Drug Dealer’. To be precise, it was a test and blind preview. Thanks to this, Kang Woojin, who made a cameo, along with Jin Jae-jun, the male lead of ‘Drug Dealer’, lead actors, Director Kim Do-hee, the director of photography, key staff members, film company officials, and others. Over 30 people all focused their eyes on the screen at the front of the sound studio.

-[And Kang Woojin]

Right after Kang Woojin’s name, which had just appeared on the screen, vanished like smoke, a grand musical score suddenly switched to a strong beat that one might hear in a club.

-♬♪

The screen, which had been black, now displayed a nightclub. It wasn’t the present but a glimpse of the past. Numerous people were dancing to the music, similar yet distinct in their old-fashioned looks and attire. This made sense, as ‘Drug Dealer’ was set in the year 1999.

The location was Busan.

Soon, the angle followed a waiter carrying drinks, leading to a private room. The screen showed a group of men and women, intoxicated by alcohol. But it wasn’t just liquor they were set up with in this room. It was alcohol mixed with drugs circulated in Busan.

Naturally, the men and women in the room were out of their minds. (TL: out of their minds = high)

Then, suddenly, the door of the room burst open.

[“Idiots, having a blast, huh.”]

A man with a cigarette in his mouth appeared. He was a detective. The protagonist of ‘Drug Dealer’, ‘Jeong Seong-hoon’, played by Jin Jae-jun. The Seong-hoon on the screen had a distinct, sharp and cunning aura, and he suddenly yelled loudly after taking a long drag of his cigarette.

[“Where is the boss?! Dong-tae! Hey, Kim Dong-tae!”]

The angle swiftly changed. From the back of a man in a suit hurrying over, the scene quickly merged to Seong-hoon in front of the room. The man arriving began to grovel before Seong-hoon.

[“Ah, Detective! if you came, you should’ve come straight to me, Why are you bothering with nonsense? Come this way. Let me get you a pack of cigarettes.”]

The man stuffed something into Seong-hoon’s pocket. What else could it be? It was money. The angle then close-upped on Seong-hoon, smirking wickedly.

[“Why does it feel a bit light?”]

The man stuffed more money into the other pocket.

[“There, nice and heavy – Let’s go have a coffee, shall we? I’ve called over some girls with nice butts.”]

Seong-hoon was forcibly dragged away by the man. Or rather, he pretended to be. At this point, the screen went dark. Suddenly, a news anchor’s voice filled the room.

[“Drug dealing is rampant in Busan.”]

Following that, a news clip appeared on the screen with white subtitles scrolling underneath, explaining the situation in 1999. From here, ‘Drug Dealer’ gradually picked up speed.

And so, ‘Drug Dealer’ accelerated.

As more characters were introduced from Jeong Seong-hoon’s perspective, events exploded here and there.

A feeling of intense suspense and urgency.

‘Drug Dealer’ reached its midpoint with a story so engaging that it was hard to look away. Around this time, the screen showed a darkening sky and soon, rain began to pour down. The sound of heavy rain was amplified through the audio.