Chapter 112 - Cherry Blossoms (5)

“Inviting the villains instead of the main actors?”

The unexpected suggestion seemed to resonate well, as the main PD and several writers in the meeting sported serious expressions.

Then,

“Did you watch that drama, Yuki-san?”

The lean main PD naturally asked in Japanese, and the small-eyed female writer who had proposed the idea nodded.

“Yes, I watched it as soon as it launched on Netflix. Actually, I’m a fan of Ryu Jung-min.”

“Haha. Is that so? How did you find the feel of the drama?”

“It’s fun. Honestly, it’s been years since I binge-watched a drama like that. Haven’t you watched it, PD-nim?”

“I need to have the time to watch.”

“Seriously, once you watch the first episode, you can’t stop. It’s no wonder it surpassed 25% viewership in Korea.”

Though he must have known, the main PD clicked his tongue as if shocked anew.

“···25%. A 25% viewership in times like these—that’s both enviable and impressive. What’s the basic info on ‘Hanryang’?”

“A famous Korean drama writer wrote the script, and it’s directed by a top-tier PD. What’s innovative is that they’ve kept the original format of Korean dramas, but there are four villains in the story.”

Another broadcast writer chimed in.

“Four of them?”

“Yes, four villains across four different episodes, making a total of 16 episodes.”

“I see. So, despite the many episodes, there seems to be less resistance from our audience.”

“That might be one of the keys to its success.”

Here, the small-eyed female writer referred to as Yuki once again turned her gaze to the PD.

“‘Hanryang’ has been holding the number one spot on Netflix for over ten days since its launch, and its popularity is still rising. The surge doesn’t seem normal. Just looking at communities and SNS, there’s a lot of talk about the ‘Hanryang’ drama. It feels like it’s not just a passing trend, but something that will last for a while?”

“Hmm, who among the four villains is currently the most talked-about actor?”

“It’s definitely the first villain who appears early in the drama. Kang Woojin, playing the role of ‘Park Dae-ri’. He’s being praised the most, whether for his acting or his looks.”

As if the name was unfamiliar, the lean PD scratched his skinny cheek.

“Do you remember the name right off the bat?”

“I was curious, so I looked him up. He’s incredibly popular in Korea right now.”

“Is that so? How long has he been an actor? I should have heard of him if he has been around for a while.”

“He seemed like a newcomer. Most of the villains in ‘Hanryang’ are either B-list or rookie actors.”

“I see. Well, that reduces some of the burden, like appearance fees, except for this actor Kang Woojin.”

The female writer nodded.

“Getting Kang Woojin might be difficult, as he seems to be involved in many projects. But regardless of the cost, it seems like we need him as the main feature.”