Chapter 39 - Speed (1)

The production PD, standing next to Director Kwon Ki-taek, responded to the director’s muttering.

“Director, what did you just say? A monster?”

“No.”

However, Director Kwon Ki-taek, with his arms crossed, shook his head.

“I was talking to myself.”

He answered smoothly, staring intently at Kang Woojin in the interrogation room. Woojin was filming a solo cut for the same scene.

‘There would have been no reason to audition if the acting was so outrageous. From my point of view, he will receive countless offer calls once this drama airs.’

Did Woo Hyun-goo not see Kang Woojin’s acting? If he had seen it, he would not have pushed for audition.

‘Now he’s on the decline, but to refuse master director woo hyun-goo – does he have that much courage or is he fearless?’

Then, Director Kwon Ki-taek recalled Kang Woojin’s appearance that he saw in the morning.

‘Wasn’t he amazed at the large studio? The image is different from now. Is he the type that has a different look when acting and in normal times?’

Soon, Director Kwon Ki-taek asked the production PD again.

“What do you think of that rookie?”

The production PD, who had also been watching Kang Woojin, quickly responded.

“He’s amazing; his acting is beyond criticism. The detail, it’s unbelievable. I want to watch him up close.”

“Breath control, restraint, yet there’s explosiveness. Look at his gaze. It’s astounding. Ryu Jung-min, who saw him up close, must have been stunned.”

The casting director (CD) who was with them chimed in.

“It must be method acting. It’s hard to see it as acting; it feels like he’s showing us the character itself. His script analysis and comprehension are exceptional.”

The production PD turned his head.

“Is this the first time you’ve seen him, CD Kim? I’m seeing him for the first time.”

“Yes, I’m unfamiliar too. Honestly, there’s no place he hasn’t been in theater, musicals, or entertainment. I’m a bit perplexed, too; an actor like him should have stood out … Sorry, Director. My search was lacking.”

As CD bowed his head, and Director Kwon Ki-taek calmly shook his head.

“No, maybe he just dropped out of nowhere. PD Song would know the situation best. But more than that.”

Director Kwon Ki-taek, who had been alternating his gaze between Ryu Jung-min and Kang Woojin on the set, stroked his chin.

“It seems that the rumor that he raised the quality of acting is true. Ryu Jung-min, he outdid my expectations. He’s put a lot of effort into it.”

“Yes, his form has certainly improved a lot.”

“That’s not just improved form. He’s taken a big step as an actor.”

Director Kwon Ki-taek, speaking calmly, pointed at Kang Woojin with his index finger.

“And probably the catalyst that raised the acting form of this work’s actors was that newcomer.”

“Do you mean the rookie named Kang Woojin?”

“Yes. From my perspective, it doesn’t look like Ryu Jung-min is leading him; but it’s like Ryu Jung-min is trying to keep up with him. Usually, the top actors are the pillars of the scene, right? They guide and support the rest.”