Chapter 102 - Short Drama (2)

Indeed, 'The Eerie Sacrifice of a Stranger' was a story of revenge. A revenge plot that was extremely brutal, yet intricately detailed. That was why the original book by author Akira, 'The Eerie Sacrifice of a Stranger,' received rave reviews. Almost the same essence was incorporated into the screenplay adapted by Director Kyotaro.

Of course, not everything from the original could be included, but the essence was clear because they did their best. That's why Mana Kosaku couldn't take his eyes off the synopsis.

'This is interesting, the quality is so good!'

The plot had an irresistibly compelling power, making him want to read the full screenplay, not just the synopsis, right away, and the same went for the original book. However, given his current situation, reading the screenplay seemed difficult.

Soon, Kosaku's thoughts shifted at the last line of the synopsis.

'To be honest, while the work is great, it's a blessing it's not a live-action adaptation.'

The reason he was drawn to this work was not just the big names attached like the director or the original author behind the scenes. Frankly, Kosaku was drawn more to something else because it felt like a proper movie after a long time.

Recently, the Japanese film industry had been inundated with live-action adaptations.

To be specific, a significant number of films produced were live-action adaptations of manga or anime. This trend was unsurprising since Japan is known for its rich manga and anime culture. Due to the financial benefits and influx of fans, this trend had solidified its presence in the Japanese movie market.

Out of the seven movies released this week, five were related to manga or animation.

'There was a need for change anyway.'

Thanks to this trend, Kosaku was a bit put off. The last drama he worked on was also a live-action adaptation of a manga. Of course, 'The Eerie Sacrifice of a Stranger' could technically be considered a live-action adaptation as well, but it was different in essence. It was more akin to a script being born as a movie screenplay.

Such productions were now rare finds in Japan.

However, there was one thing that bothered him.

"Director, what role is the Korean actor playing?"

There was a Korean actor involved, and he was a newcomer, yet he was cast in a primary role. From Kosaku's perspective, this was certainly odd. However, Director Kyotaro answered with a relaxed smile.

"He will play the role of 'Kiyoshi Iyota.'"

"!!!"

Kosaku's eyes widened in shock. The reason was simple.

'The lead role, no less?'

It wasn't a supporting or minor role; it was a proper lead role. And 'Kiyoshi Iyota' was a character who drove the direction of the story. While 'The Eerie Sacrifice of a Stranger' featured quite a few main characters, it was 'Kiyoshi' who steered the story.

He was practically the single most important character.

A Korean actor got that role? Why? How? Externally, Kosaku didn't show it, but he found it hard to understand. The original was by the renowned author Akari, and the director was the legendary Director Kyotaro. Yet the actor in the top role was a Korean rookie.

Kosaku felt a mix of surprise and discomfort.

It was undoubtedly a big project, but he felt tangled and complicated. At this point, Director Kyotaro leaned forward and spoke to the serious-looking Kosaku.