Chapter 129 - Departure (3)

Both ‘Male Friend’ and ‘Drug Dealer’ releasing simultaneously? Woojin, looking calmly at Choi Sung-gun, asked for clarification.

“At the same time?”

Choi Sung-gun nodded his head with a small smile.

“Yeah, well- it’s not confirmed yet. It’s just my guess.”

Woojin, based on what he heard here and there, did some calculations.

“I heard that ‘Male Friend’ is scheduled for October.”

“That’s right, we’re in late August now, so it’s about a month and a bit away. But yesterday, when you were doing the script reading for ‘Freezing Love’, Director Kim Do-hee personally called. She suggested holding a blind preview next week.”

Blind what? Woojin, with a serious face, was confused by the term ‘blind preview’. It sounded familiar but strangely new. Where had he heard it? Then, it struck him.

‘Ah- right, was it during ‘Exorcism’?’

Indeed, a blind preview had also been conducted when the editing of ‘Exorcism’ was completed. The general idea was that only the people involved in the movie gathered to watch the finished product. Does that mean the editing of ‘Drug Dealer’ was completed? Wasn’t that a bit fast? Well, he didn’t know much yet, but that was his feeling.

“Isn’t it a bit early?”

“Yeah. For a commercial movie’s post-production, it’s quite early. However, it doesn’t seem like ‘the editing is completely finished’. More like, about 90% of the work is done. But it’s still fast. It happens, directors get hooked on editing and pour their life into it.”

“They must have had a hard time.”

“Anyway, it seems like the blind preview was originally scheduled for mid-September, but it was moved up due to the actors’ schedules. So, if we have the blind preview at the end of August, editing completed before mid-September, then distribution companies jump in for promotion, and if everything moves quickly, the film could be released in October or November.”

At this point, although Woojin’s expression was indifferent, a sense of tension rose within him. It was just a cameo role, but a film he appeared in would be shown in theaters? Of course, he had seen ‘Exorcism’ in the cinema. But this felt strangely different.

‘Is this the difference between a short film and a commercial movie?’

Not a movie shown at festivals as an event, but one where the general public pays to see Kang Woojin or ‘Lee Sang-man’ in theaters. Unlike ‘Exorcism’, the number of viewers and revenue would be counted. Indeed, this must be the pressure related to performance.

As Woojin’s heart secretly fluttered,

“It wasn’t intentional, but this means there’s a high possibility that ‘Male Friend’ and ‘Drug Dealer’ will overlap.”

That made sense. It was unlikely that both works would open exactly at the same time, but whichever came first, they would be around the same time.

“But that would be much more impactful. From the audience’s perspective, there’s the fun of choosing. And most importantly, you can showcase your versatile masks.”

Choi Sung-gun’s smile deepened as he explained.

“In both works, you’re involved, and naturally, you’ll be at the center of the promotions. Then, the public will be curious, since two works featuring you, who’s become a hot topic, are being released almost simultaneously.”