Chapter 146 - Artillery Fire (1)

At 10 a.m. on the 19th, Netflix Korea officially released ‘Male Friend’. Despite it being morning, many people were watching the beginning of ‘Male Friend’, which started in a park where cherry blossoms were fluttering down. The park was bustling with people, giving off the vibe of a cherry blossom festival.

Along with that angle, a bouncy OST starts playing.

-♬♪

Initially filled only with music, the sound gradually mixes with the noise of a noisy crowd, and then, the screen shows the backs of Kang Woojin and Hwalin walking side by side among the overflowing crowd. Suddenly, Hwalin’s narration overlays.

[“Yes, that’s right. This is exactly where it all began.”]

As her words end, the angle swiftly turns, showing the front view of the two characters. Woojin and Hwalin’s expressions were in stark contrast. Hwalin, wearing a light blue jacket, looked bright and cheerful, whereas Kang Woojin was full of annoyance.

At that moment.

– Tat!

Hwalin ran off somewhere, causing her long hair to flutter. Kang Woojin, dressed in a white shirt and blue jeans, lets out a long sigh. Then, Hwalin, who had been hopping around alone, returns to Woojin, her hands full of cherry blossom petals.

[“Hey! Han In-ho!”]

The angle shows the side view of the two. Hwalin extends her hands full of cherry blossom petals towards Kang Woojin. Suddenly. The cherry blossom petals are zoomed in, and the banter between Kang Woojin and Hwalin continues.

[“Look at this!”]

[“So what?”]

[“Ah! Smell it, the fragrance!”]

[“It doesn’t smell like anything to me.”]

The two banter quite freely. Eventually, Kang Woojin puts his nose close to the piled cherry blossoms. At that moment.

– Click.

The OST and the screen that had been playing all along suddenly stop. It was as if the world had come to a halt. Then once again, Hwalin’s narration overlays.

[“That’s the moment, that moment! Ah- I should have just stuffed cherry blossom petals into Han In-ho’s nostrils and run away!”]

As soon as her narration ends, the paused screen starts moving again. Kang Woojin and Hwalin, now closer with the cherry blossom petals between them, exchange a mysterious glance. Their faces are shown in alternating shots, with a sticky gaze clearly visible.

The distance between their eyes was no more than a fist’s length.

-♬♪

Even the OST changes to something softer. The two, now close enough to hear each other’s breathing, are captured in a single frame. The shot is enhanced with sunlight filtering through, and the playback speed is set to slow motion. At this point, Kang Woojin, who had been gazing at Hwalin with an ambiguous expression, makes his move.

He pressed his lips against Hwalin’s, through the cherry blossom petals.

The screen shows the back of Kang Woojin’s head and Hwalin’s expression, eyes wide with surprise, and as Woojin slowly pulls away from the kiss, Hwalin, who had been looking at him, suddenly hiccups.

[“Hic!”]

Once again, the world stops and Hwalin’s narration resumes.

[“Stupid! Why did I hiccup?”]