Chapter 145 - Missing (4)

Kang Woojin in ‘Ame-talk Show!’ played on the old director’s cellphone. In the video, Kang Woojin was close to the audience seats, continuously conversing with a child using sign language. The man in his late 40s, who was talking with the veteran director, had a look of panic on his face as he watched the video.

“Ah- Kang Woojin. Are you talking about Kang Woojin?”

At the repeated question, the old director took back his phone. His wrinkled face was filled with bluntness.

“Yes, Kang Woojin. A rookie actor who has stood out in less than a year since his debut.”

“······”

“What. Did I see wrong?”

“No, it’s Kang Woojin.”

The man, sweating profusely, contrasted with the old director, who seemed relaxed. Or should I say cold? His voice was old but firm.

“Where is Kang Woojin now? He’s popular now, so you must be keeping tabs on him.”

“···He’s probably in Vietnam. I know he’s gone for the overseas filming of ‘Island of the Missing.'”

“The work of Director Kwon.”

The old director slowly nodded his head, while the man in his 40s just looked down. A moment of silence. It was the veteran director who broke the quiet.

“But tell me, did you think I wouldn’t know about Kang Woojin? Recently, he’s been making noise with Japanese sign language.”

“Di, Director. That’s…”

“Or did you not know? That can’t be it. He’s currently one of the top rising stars in Chungmuro.”

The question, or rather, the interrogation, about why the actor skilled in sign language wasn’t mentioned sooner. Finally, the man sighed deeply and confessed, his voice losing strength.

“Honestly… Yes, of course I knew. But I only brought him up in discussion and then excluded him. As you know, Kang Woojin is still a newcomer, not even a year into his career. He’s been verified through his works, but he lacks experience.”

“Is that so?”

“I’m sorry. I was just worried. It’s your 100th work, isn’t it, Director? And considering the weight of the project, it would be too much for a newcomer like Kang Woojin.”

“An experienced actor is needed?”

“Yes, Director.”

The man had no bad intentions. Therefore, the old director was not overly angry. Still, there was a growing chill.

“Experience. Yes, experience is important. But isn’t that a biased view? You should look at the forest, not just the tree.”

“···Pardon?”

“If Kang Woojin was a reckless actor, would Director Kwon or that director Kyotaro from Japan have taken him?”

“······”

“Is there something more than his lacking experience that allows him, despite being a rookie, to take leading roles and for them to bear the risk? Am I wrong?”

The man’s mouth shut tight, as if weighed down by a heavy anchor. He wasn’t wrong, after all. And continuing to argue with the old director was a problem. The reason was simple.

The old director. No, Director Ahn Ga-bok, was a legendary figure.

『[Movie Talk] The living legend of the Korean film industry, ‘Director Ahn Ga-bok’, to kickstart his 100th project?』