Chapter 109 - Cherry Blossoms (2)

Director Shin Dong-chun, with his square jaw pressed against the monitor, gave a small laugh at the script supervisor’s question.

“It’s because of Woojin and Hwalin’s quality performances.”

A warm and fuzzy feeling quickly spread among the staff.

“It feels refreshing, doesn’t it? With sound effects, filters, and enhancing the visual appeal, it’s going to be really refreshing.”

“The actors’ visuals perfectly match the drama, amplifying the romantic comedy vibe. It’s really great.”

Despite being just the first scene and the first take, the staff were already deeply immersed in the ‘Male Friend’ world. This brought a satisfied smile to Director Shin Dong-chun’s face.

‘If the on-site is this immersed, I imagine how the audience will react.’

The essence of ‘Male Friend’ was indeed the fluttering moments, but writer Choi Na-na had another trick up her sleeve. It was to evoke the emotions and memories unique to school days, relatable to anyone who has lived or is living through them.

A story that either resonates with the present or draws out nostalgia.

Director Shin Dong-chun’s direction of ‘Male Friend’ would be warmly comforting, with a touch of fantasy.

“Cut!! Good, let’s move on to the next scene!”

He gave the instructions across the auditorium. The makeup team rushed towards Kang Woojin and Hwalin, and for some reason, over 80 extras started to move in unison. Soon, only Kang Woojin and Hwalin were left in the auditorium.

It was all part of the direction.

While all the other students had disappeared in the shot, they were all there in the script. This was a directing choice designed to focus the audience’s attention on the expressions and thoughts of Han In-ho and Lee Bo-min, focusing the viewer’s attention amidst the sea of students.

Soon after,

“Han In-ho is ready!”

“Lee Bo-min is ready too!”

Upon receiving the sign that makeup adjustments were complete, Director Shin again raised his megaphone.

“Alright- Action!”

The camera first zoomed in on Kang Woojin. His eyes were slightly reddened, probably because of the yawn he had just done. He looks like he might fall asleep at any moment, casual, and stoic. That’s when Kang Woojin casually brushed his hair back with a sense of boredom.

-Swoosh.

Kang Woojin was already perfectly portraying ‘Han In-ho.’

Then Han In-ho blinked several times. Although the auditorium was quiet now, the principal’s speech was clearly ringing in his ears. It’s a time when everything is strange yet also filled with possibilities. Han In-ho was thrust into this moment.

Yet, Han In-ho seems utterly uninterested in the entrance ceremony.

When is this bald-headed principal going to finish? Han In-ho slightly tilted his head, his eyes appearing lifeless, devoid of any thoughts, which was clearly captured by the camera.

At that moment,

-Swish.

The pupils of Han In-ho, who had been stupidly staring at the principal, moved. He saw Lee Bo-min standing diagonally across on the wall. The camera follows Han In-ho’s gaze. However, Han In-ho’s gaze quickly returns to the front.