Chapter 104 - Short Drama (4)

When Kang Woojin first heard about the ‘kiss scene revision’ from Director Shin Dong-chun, he was deeply troubled.

‘What? No way.’

It wasn’t common for modifications to occur during the production of a work, but neither was it unheard of. It was quite ordinary. Yes, hadn’t it been the same during ‘Drug Dealer’ shooting? The plot often changed abruptly under the director’s or writer’s decision.

The problem was, Woojin was in a dilemma in this situation.

There were dozens of people at the reading, many of whom Woojin knew, including Director Shin. If he were to reveal his true feelings honestly here, all he had built up would collapse. Imagine him shouting, ‘I oppose the kiss scene revision!’

Kang Woojin’s carefully crafted image would shatter into pieces.

For a moment, Woojin recalled the works he had lined up for the future. None were romantic. They were all significant works, but nothing sweet or romantic. Of course, he might shoot a rom-com someday, but that was undecided. It wouldn’t matter to top actors like Ryu Jung-min or Jin Jae-joon.

‘Is my first kiss scene as an actor going to disappear just like that? Really?’

It was natural for Woojin, who still felt like an ordinary person at heart, to feel a faint sense of disappointment.

But fortunately.

“I’m thinking of a deeper scene.”

Director Shin Dong-chun’s response was positive. But, deeper?

‘Deeper than a kiss scene?’

The doors of imagination naturally swung open. It was merely instinct—male instinct. Woojin forcibly shut the doors of his imagination, pulling his rationality back. He decided not to overthink it. He then checked his expression.

He couldn’t afford to show any sign of being shaken.

He then looked at Hwalin across from him. Her expression was calm. What was she truly feeling? Though he couldn’t be sure, Kang Woojin was the only person in the room who knew her secret. Wouldn’t she, at least, have some expectations if she was a fan?

Anyway.

-Swish.

Woojin turned his head towards Director Shin Dong-chun, who sat at the head of the table. He steadied his voice. It was essential to give off an indifferent, cold vibe.

“Director, what exactly do you mean by a ‘deeper scene’?”

As Woojin spoke in a heavy tone, all eyes in the reading room that had been on Woojin shifted to Director Shin Dong-chun.

Soon.

“Ah- Episode 1, the first cut. The kiss scene between ‘Lee Bo-min’ and ‘Han In-ho.’ If you look at the emotional expressions of the two characters here, Lee Bo-min starts off bewildered, while Han In-ho has his eyes closed. In other words, Han In-ho initiated it, and Bo-min’s eyes are wide open in shock.”

Director Shin Dong-chun, who had opened the script for the first episode that was prepared on the desk, elaborated.

“The scene is meant to be shocking, supported by the mechanism of the kiss. But the kiss itself is lackluster. Honestly, it’s more like just touching lips.”

The director stroked his square jaw as he explained.

“In my view, this cut definitely needs more intensity. The writer’s intention in crafting this scene is to grasp the viewers’ attention right from the beginning. and to do that, using clarity works better than ambiguity. Being lukewarm could backfire, making the subsequent narrative feel vague, like a deflated balloon.”