Chapter 78: Expansion (7)

“······Is it not okay?”

At Ryu Jung-min’s firm reply, Director Kwon Ki-taek scratched his chin and crossed his arms seriously.

“You mean you’re being forced to do it.”

“You can see it that way. To be honest, I’ve had a lot of concerns.”

“But you’re doing it because it’s my work? You’re ambitious about its impact and the background?”

At this question, Ryu Jung-min straightened his posture and recalled his past filming sessions with Woojin.

“······”

It was a few seconds later when he spoke again.

“Director, when an actor feels a limit to their abilities early in their career, they choose to break through. They’re full of energy. I was like that too. However, once they’re on track, instead of breaking through, they often feel frustration upon reaching their limit. The sense of loss is profound, right?”

“···Hmm.”

“But people see me as the top actor. The fear of failure and the sense of loss are magnified. The problem is that recently, I’ve entered that state, and the one who triggered it is that monster pretending to be a rookie.”

Ryu Jung-min gave a wry smile.

“Leaving aside that monster’s past. Even though his entertainment career in Korea is far less than mine, in just a few days, he’s a monster that can crush my entire career.”

“You’re talking about Woojin.”

“You asked if I’m really okay, right? Kang Woojin, he’s overwhelming. I can’t see his limits. Every time I see him, he’s growing. When I look into his eyes while acting, he feels so distant. I struggle, trying to close the gap, and just when I feel I’ve caught up, he’s already way ahead of me.”

“Hmm.”

Slowly nodding, Director Kwon Ki-taek precisely understood the inner feelings of the top actor Ryu Jung-min. He had personally witnessed the dynamics on the set between Ryu Jung-min and Kang Woojin. Their acting might seem similar at a glance. But there’s a difference in depth, a clear disparity in intensity.

Then Ryu Jung-min’s bitter smile deepened.

“But it’s ironic. In the moment I felt the biggest crisis in my decade-long career as an actor, the work is turning out to be a historic success. Evaluations of my acting and technical aspects are higher than ever.”

“You’ve evolved, we usually call it breaking out of the shell.”

“Yes. Unknowingly, I let go of the weight of being the lead, the top actor, and purely competed with acting. Although Woojin might not have felt the same way.”

Director Kwon Ki-taek replied inwardly.

‘That was possible because Kang Woojin played the supporting role on set.’

Thanks to him, the lead, Ryu Jung-min, could solely focus on acting.

“When Woojin finished his part and left, I felt empty. On the contrary, I also felt uneasy. When I’m with him, everything I’ve built up feels insignificant. Every time we meet, the idea of running away naturally comes to mind.”

“······”

“Various things get broken. Whether it’s motivation or passion.”

Then, Ryu Jung-min’s expression became serious.