Chapter 28 - Shooting (3)

March 11th, Wednesday afternoon.

The ‘Exorcism’ team was shooting for the second day in Paju, Gyeonggi-do. The current location was an old café near a villa, which also doubled as a restaurant. The ‘Exorcism’ crew, about ten people, were busy around the café, cleaning up after a scene.

In the film industry, there is a phrase: ‘Unfold and fold.’

It means to spread out and then clean up, and even in commercial films, they clean up quickly after outdoor shooting. Short films had to be twice as fast to save on production costs.

Anyhow.

-Duuk!

Top actress Hong Hye-yeon got into a van parked by the roadside. she leaned her head back against the headrest, wearing a white long padded jacket, and sighed heavily.

“Whew-”

She casually swept her long hair back. It looked like a scene from a shampoo commercial.

Hong Hye-yeon’s filming for ‘Exorcism’ was over with that scene. She had spent two out of the total five shooting days with the crew. Originally, it was a three-day schedule, but due to her other busy schedules, the shooting was quite intense. The scene just before was a two-shot scene with Kang Woojin, the protagonist of ‘Exorcism’.

As she closed her long padded coat, Hong Hye-yeon reflected on the emotions and scenes left in her mind.

‘It felt different from watching it on a monitor. It’s different when you experience it with your own eyes. Did I feel a bit intimidated in the middle? Why?’

She gnawed at her lower lip as she questioned herself.

‘I felt that my acting was lacking while trying to match the acting.’

Hong Hye-yeon felt a distance in acting between her and Kang Woojin. She was a top actress, but Kang Woojin was still a nobody. But still, it felt far. It felt quite distant.

‘I don’t know, it seemed like I was being stubborn from the middle.’

She even asked Director Shin Dong-chun for a retake out of dissatisfaction. As retakes increased, Kang Woojin’s Kim Ryu-jin became deeper, and the gap didn’t shrink.

Of course, her acting wasn’t bad overall.

No, rather it was good. Director Shin Dong-chun was satisfied. Even Hong Hye-yeon was among the top actresses in Korea in terms of acting. It’s just that Kang Woojin was an unbelievable existence.

‘How does he do it? When I see him, it feels like he’s lived in the world of the drama for years. That gaze- Is it just talent?’

She had joined ‘Exorcism’ to understand Kang Woojin’s insane acting, but having experienced it, she felt even more entangled. Moreover, she got a new shock this time.

“······Kim Ryu-jin had a completely different tone from Park Dae-ri. How can he distinguish the two characters so clearly while working on two projects simultaneously?”

Park Dae-ri was sticky and cunning, while this time’s Kim Ryu-jin had a relaxed and full of everyday life. Kang Woojin’s Park Dae-ri and Kim Ryu-jin were completely separate. This was a skill that a rookie could never have.

“Is it multiple personalities-”

Multiple personalities. Yes, it seemed like multiple personalities. Distinct personalities. Suddenly, Hong Hye-yeon sighed.

“Is it something that can be achieved through learning?”

Even Kang Woojin learned it on his own. For now, it was unknown. It might be impossible. But she had to keep watching. Kang Woojin. Because she wanted to act better.