⁶.⁴cracks

1996DIAGON ALLEY

1996
DIAGON ALLEY

George stood there, desolated at the news spoken to him. "What?"

Athena stood there, not meeting his eyes as she feared she would break even more. "I'm sorry."

George nodded, though it was obvious that he was also hurting, tears threatening to spill from his eyes. "So this is it? I mean, I kind of understand... We haven't been talking for a while, and if we do, it's a really short conversation."

Athena smiled sadly, . "Yeah... besides, you've got your busy job here at the shop and I've got to deal with schooling..."

A small silence peaked before the two, Athena still not looking up at him. "Why now?" George asked.

Athena looked back up, her eyes moist. "Well, I'm going back to Hog-" She then cut herself off.

George looked alarmed at the sudden stop. "What? What is it?"

Athena started fiddling with her nails on one hand, a tear slipping pat her eye. "Uh, um... I'm needed for a mission."

The Weasley looked even more stern and slightly concerned upon hearing that. "What? What kind of mission is it? Please don't tell me it's like what happened back in New York." As Athena stood there, not saying anything - which is unusual for the girl - George received his answer. "Athena, don't go. Please you could get even more hurt this time-"

"I have to, George." She stopped him, looking at him. "Many lives could be at stake again if I don't help. The last time something like this happened, I nearly lost my Uncle."

"But you didn't!"

"I could've!" She answered back. "Not to mention a city could've been turned into bloody crumbs! Who knows what could fucking happen this time? A city flying off the ground?"

That's when Athena noticed the tears on George's eyes, slowly sliding down his cheek. Athena's heart was pounding, beating so fast, faster than her heart rate after a run with Steve. Faster than when she would be training with Natasha and Clint. Faster than when she had thought her father was dead.

It was heart-breaking for the two, really. They were lovers. As from what Athena thought earlier, she had loved every moment she spent with him. And though they aren't going to be the one holding the key to each other's hearts anymore, she would still cherish the feeling of when she held it, and cherish the memories.

George sniffled, letting his tears fall freely as he looked to the side, then back at her. Athena's eye made eye contact with him, "just please, come back. Alive."

Athena nodded, trying to form a small grin. "You truly underestimate me, Weasley. I'm not joining Hades down in the Underworld now."

The red-head managed to break a smile at her. "So we're done?"

The Black, nodded sadly, her grin faltering as she didn't respond.

"Alright... I'm guessing this is goodbye then?"

Athena then pulled a face, scoffing. "Goodbye? Oh hell no. I still have your siblings to deal with. Surely I'll be able to see you again."

The boy deadpanned at the girl, sending her a blank look saying 'are you serious?'. "I meant for us, our relationship."

"By relationship, I hope you mean us dating."

"Does that mean you still want us to continue talking?" George asked, actually confused. Athena laughed shaking her head as she looked down. She then felt arms wrap around her figure, a head placing itself on hers. 

"George-"

"Please." He started, voice cracking. "Just let me hold you one last time. Please."

The girl didn't say anything, feeling her heart beat, plead, and fight with itself.

She didn't want to leave him, she really didn't, but another part of her was telling her to do so. The pros and cons weighed at level height, but she knew she had to choose one choice. 

The girl scoffed playfully, a sad smile forming. "You really can't get enough of me, can you Weasley?"

Her hands found each other behind his back, as she softly let tears out from beneath. "I really can't..." George whispered, though went unheard by the girl.

Then, Athena carefully released him, looking up at him empathetically. George had looked down at her, a melancholy smile on his face. "Thank you Fi."

Athena smiled at him back, trying not to break down. "And thank you Georgie."

George then looked down at his watch, noticing that his break was over. "Well, I've got to go. Just please don't die. Come back to me alive. I don't mean that in a boyfriend type of way, but just in general. I'd really hate to lose you."

"You won't. If you do, then just know that I want my funeral to be all extra." Athena joked, wiping her tears away.

The two then connected eyes, staring into the familiar orbs that would light up their day. But this time, as they stared into each other's eyes lovingly one more time, they noticed one thing. Hurt.

"Goodbye Athena."

"Goodbye George."

And with that, the two parted, going back into what they had to do. It might've looked like they just let each other go easily, but to them, it was hard. It was as if a clay vase had been broken into large shards, then the shard were pieced back together, a layer of paint and glue to disguise the cracks.

Though, one thing remained the same. Despite the evidence of its shattered pieces disappearing, something beneath those layers remained. That remained in their hearts. And those were cracks.

 And those were cracks