Chapter 22 On lookers saw most of the game

The municipal hospital was owned by Jonathan.

When he arrived at the hospital after he heard the news, Credence was standing in the corridor. Frowning, he wore an indescribable expression on his face. Jonathan could not stand to see Credence acting like the victim after taking advantage of Dorothy. He squinted and said meaningfully, "Credence, you seem to be acting unwisely recently. Tell me honestly, have you fallen in love with Dorothy, even if just a little?"

Credence was slightly startled, but he snorted coldly. "I will never fall in love with her even if she is the only woman left in the world."

"Since you don't love her, why don't you divorce her? Why have you tied her down for nearly four years? Just to torture her and yourself?" Jonathan sighed.

Even if he hadn't seen Dorothy with his own eyes, he could roughly guess what had happened to her.

"Cut the crap!"

Credence lifted his leg to kick Jonathan with an impatient expression. "She is in your hospital now. When will we know her situation?"

Dorothy had been sent into the operating room for more than three hours, and the red indicator light was still on. Credence unconsciously furrowed his brow and kept silent for a long time.

Jonathan could not figure out what kind of emotion Credence was hiding behind those deep eyes.

Jonathan dodged Credence's kick. He suddenly became serious and said, "Even if Dorothy did something wrong, she is still your wife. She just had a miscarriage, yet you're ruining her body like that. There would definitely be after-effects."

Jonathan had known Dorothy for many years. She did not seem like a cruel person.

However, he dared not say the truth to Credence.

As the saying went, onlookers saw most of the game.

Credence put out his cigarette, looking indifferent. "I know what I'm doing."

Dorothy had caused Rosalie to be in such a miserable state. He felt that he was kind enough to keep her alive. As for other matters, he would not take those consideration.

Although that was his thought, he couldn't help but draw his brows together.

At about five o'clock in the afternoon, Dorothy was finally wheeled out from the operating room and sent to a VIP ward.

Laying on the huge hospital bed, she did not manage to sleep well. Her thoughts were in such a knot that she did not want to open her eyes at all.

Her body was in great pain, as if all the bones in her body had been broken one by one and glued back together again. The pain was so intense that she broke out in a cold sweat.

Besides, her throat was very dry and she was feeling very uncomfortable. With her eyes closed, she let out a groan. "Water... I need water."

Soon, she could hear familiar and steady footsteps headed toward her direction.

Credence felt that he must be crazy. He sat on the edge of the bed, gently lifted Dorothy's sweaty body with one hand, and delivered the brim of a glass to her lips with his other hand.

Feeling moisture on her lips, Dorothy opened her mouth reflexively and finished the water in one gulp.

Who else besides Juelz would treat her with such gentleness?

After she finished drinking, she burped contentedly and said softly, "Thank you, Juelz."

As she lay back on the bed in a daze, tears rolled down from the corner of her eyes. In no time, the white pillowcase beneath her was soaked.

Juelz again. Did she even have him in her heart as her husband?

For the first time in his life that he was showing kindness to Dorothy, she recognized him as Juelz. How could Credence not be mad?

If he was his usual self, he would have already thrown her out without mercy.

But at that moment...

Burning with rage, Credence stared coldly at Dorothy whose face was so pale. His deep gaze then shifted down to the other part of her body.

There were complicated emotions in his eyes when he glanced at her thin wrist and her bruised legs which could not be hidden under her dress.

Credence then left the ward. At this time, Maria walked up to him with a smile. She was holding two thermos flasks which were filled with nutritious soup.

Credence subconsciously held his hand up and rubbed his temples. He said in a dull voice, "Move quietly. She is asleep. Feed her when she's awake."

"Yes, Mr. Scott."

Maria had worked for Credence for five years. This was the first time Credence had shown concern for Dorothy. Therefore, she was a little excited deep down.

She was grateful for Dorothy's kindness and caring attitude toward. Hence, she really hoped that Credence could live a peaceful and happy life with Dorothy.

As Maria was overjoyed, she was chattier than usual.

"Mr. Scott, you haven't eaten, have you? I've brought some stomach-soothing soup. You can drink it with Mrs. Scott."

Stomach-soothing soup?

Credence was stunned for a moment before he came back to his senses. He took the thermos flask from Maria and asked flatly, "How do you know have an upset stomach today?"

Seeing that Credence was not too indifferent toward her, Maria became bolder. She said, "Mr. Scott, all these years, regardless of whether you come home for dinner, Mrs. Scott would request me to prepare soup for you every day. Although you never drink much of it, she would be very happy each time you finished it."

At the thought of Dorothy, who occasionally showed her girlish side, Maria could not help but smile.

This was the first time Credence had heard Maria mentioning Dorothy's actions. For a moment, he was fascinated by her words and did not interrupt her.

"Mr. Scott, I'll head inside and take care of her.

Maria pushed the door open and was about to enter the ward when she suddenly heard his voice.

'Did Rosalie visit often when I was not at home?"

Maria's heart skipped a beat. She turned around to look at Credence and replied hesitantly, "Miss Rosalie has only come once. She and Mrs. Scott were talking in the guest room. I didn't pay much attention to them, but... In the end, Miss Rosalie left in tears. She also said that Mrs. Scott was cruel, and karma would get back at her sooner or later."

"Mr. Scott, actually... don't think... Mrs. Scott is a cruel person."

On the contrary, Maria had always disliked Rosalie who looked innocent on the surface but was up to no good deep down. Maria felt that Credence was just momentarily deceived by her.

Credence nodded at Maria with a bland expression before he turned around and entered the elevator.

There was an urgent matter that needed to be solved in the company, which required his presence.

While Credence drove his black Maybach toward the direction of his company, his phone rang suddenly.

He took a glance at his phone and saw that it was from Dorothy's and Rosalie's mother, Linda Arnold.

He immediately pulled over at the roadside. After that, he answered the phone in a deep voice, "Hello. Is there anything?"

Linda's ear-piercing cries came from the other end of the phone. "Credence, I've got bad news for you. Rosalie, she... she's not going to make it. She's going to die soon! My baby daughter..."

The car fell into dead silence.

Credence held his phone with a sullen face and was motionless. The cigarette between his fingers had already burnt to ashes.

About two minutes later, the car made a quick U-turn and began speeding toward the municipal hospital. The friction between the wheels and the road surface made a squealing sound..

..............