Chapter 50 Gambling with her life by acting

Dorothy came out of Credence's bedroom on the second floor. She walked down the stairs and arrived at the guest room where she had stayed for four years. After she had washed up and changed into a comfortable cotton dress, she heard a soft knock on the door.

When she heard the soft knock, she was sure that the person who stood outside was not Credence.

It was hard to describe how she felt at that moment. She just felt very disappointed.

Dorothy opened to the door and saw Maria, who held a steaming pot of breakfast in her hands. It was her favorite beef celery dumplings.

She took the dumplings from Maria, and smiled from the bottom of her heart. She felt a few strands of warmth. "Maria, I'm really hungry, so thank you."

"You don't have to thank me. It was Mr. Scott who instructed me to prepare it."

Dorothy, who had disappeared for a long time, finally came back. Maria was very happy about her return, and she could not hide her smile.

She did not know what had happened between Dorothy and Credence during this period. She only knew that after Dorothy's return, Credence's attitude changed a little. He specially instructed Maria to make breakfast for Dorothy. It was something that had never happened before.

As Dorothy tried to eat one of the delicious dumplings, she heard Maria's words, and she did not know whether to continue eating or not. After hesitating for a moment, she calmly put down the bowl and asked, "He instructed you to make them for me?"

"Yes! Mr. Scott finally realized how good you are. He is starting to care about you."

Maria's face was filled with smiles as she chattered on, "After so many years, you have finally managed to change Mr. Scott's mind. I'm really happy for you and Mr. Scott. In the future, when you give birth to a child, I'll serve you and the baby well..."

When Dorothy heard the word 'baby', she felt a sharp pang in her heart. Her hands, which held the bowl of dumplings, shook a little, and the milky soup in the bowl spilled onto her dress and onto the floor. The air was immediately filled with a rich and delicious beef aroma.

"Mrs. Scott, are you alright?"

Maria quickly took the bowl from Dorothy's hands when she saw the paleness on her face and quickly placed the bowl on the nearby coffee table. Then, she went into the bathroom and took a clean towel to wipe the stain off Dorothy's clothes. She then squatted down and cleaned up the floor quickly.

"I'm fine." Dorothy's face was pale and she shook her head. "I'm full. You can go out now."

"Okay."

When Maria was about to pack up and leave, Dorothy's gentle voice rang.

"Maria, do you still remember the accident when Sheldon fell from the balcony on the second floor of the old manor two years ago?"

"Of course. At that time, Mr. Sheldon's old housekeeper was always with him. He was not feeling well that day and kept vomiting. He was sent to the hospital early in the morning. Ifollowed you to send Mr. Sheldon a birthday gift that was specially prepared for him. As soon as I brought the gift to Mr. Sheldon's room, I heard someone outside shouting that Mr. Sheldon had fallen down. They said that, at that time, only you and Mr. Sheldon were on the balcony... Mrs. Scott, I don't believe it. I know that you are a kind-hearted woman and will never push Mr. Sheldon down."

When Maria recalled the accident that happened in Scott Manor two years ago, she looked agitated.

It was after that incident that the marriage between Dorothy and Credence, which had been as cold as ice, became even more unstable.