Chapter 539: Had dug a hole for themselves

Xiao Hanzheng was not surprised by what Prince Yi said.

"Your Royal Highness should have given him a push as well, right?" he said with a smile.

Liang Yulin chuckled. "Prince Jin's people suggested that you go directly to the Northern City to be the prefect. Firstly, they wanted to test the imperial brother's attitude. Secondly, they wanted to draw hatred for you.

"As expected, many people are against it. They say that your promotion speed is too exaggerated. It's improper at all for one to go from the seventh-rank to the fourth-rank."

"So I gave it a push," he continued. "I stood up and said that it's a waste of talent to put you in a small county like Heyang County. The northern border is lacking talents like you to run it.

"If your position is too low, it will limit your development and make it difficult for you to execute many government decrees.

"So I suggest that after the previous magistrate posted out, you can be the acting magistrate. You will have all the authority of a magistrate, but your official position will only be secondary to the fifth rank.

"When you're done, you can be promoted to fourth rank after becoming the magistrate."

His eldest son was indeed smart and could guess it right.

At that time, he could tell what Prince Jin's people were up to with a single glance.

He just wanted to use Xiao Hanzheng as an excuse to make the ministers in the imperial court object, and then take the opportunity to push his people to the position of a magistrate.

Then, he would transfer Xiao Hanzheng to a civil official to assist that magistrate.

This would allow Prince Jin to pull some strings with Xiao Hanzheng, and he could also let his people take credit for Xiao Hanzheng's efforts.

For someone like Prince Jin, even if he wanted to rope in Xiao Hanzheng, he would be very cautious and would more likely take advantage of him.

Since Prince Jin wanted to cause trouble, he would fulfill his wish.

"Did you succeed in the end?" Xiao Hanzheng asked with a sneer.

Prince Yi rarely expressed his opinions in court, and others would always guess that his words were the emperor's intention.

Liang Yulin laughed. "Of course I did. The three high dukes all stood out to support it. The Fei family, who represents those with high virtue, also took the lead in supporting it.

"This was suggested by Prince Jin's people. Even if they wanted to object, they couldn't slap themselves in public.

"More than half of the court officials agreed, so my royal brother also granted it.

"Northern City magistrate's transfer order will be issued soon. Once he leaves during the new year, you can take up the position."

Only the position of a magistrate could restrain Prince Jin.

Xiao Hanzheng and Shi Qingluo wanted to do more for the people, only then would they enjoy more flexibility.

Prince Jin and his men had dug a hole for themselves this time.

It was also a coincidence that he had been actively attending court during the few days he had stayed in the capital to ask for marriage.

He happened to meet Prince Jin's people who brought up this matter, so he pushed them away on purpose.

If he didn't go to court, Prince Jin's people would probably succeed.

After all, his royal brother had to balance the opinions in court and it wasn't good for him to bring this up.