Chapter 541: Too unreliable

There was some technique involved to set up the heated brick bed.

Otherwise, it would either be neither hot nor hot, or it would scald others.

As they had to visit many villages, they did not have enough manpower.

Xiao Hanzheng also selected some people from the villages who had good character and joined the brick bed team.

Those who were greedy and liked to do things sneakily were not allowed to join.

Once such behavior was discovered, they would be fired.

In the future, if there were similar jobs, they would not be recruited again.

After all, they had to go to someone else's house.

If they had someone like this in their team, not only would it cause harm in that person's home, but it would also be bad for the reputation of the county government's brick bed making team.

The foreman kept a close eye on them, and the selected people cherished this kind of work that was not particularly hard but provided wages when the weather was cold, so there had not been any cases of theft yet.

It also gave the brick bed team a good reputation.

After installing the brick beds for the villagers in Heyang County, other counties invited the brick bed team over too.

Xiao Hanzheng naturally did not mind them earning more, but once they were out of Heyang County, the county government would not be paying their wages, but by whoever wanted to buy it.

Because they were going on a long journey, the salary was higher than in Heyang County, and some even covered their meals.

Those in the brick-bed team had also made a fortune before the new year.

It would be a rare prosperous year.

Many poor villages faced a similar situation.

"Father, you're back."

"I'm back. Look, I bought you guys some malt candy."

The children who were eating malt candy for the first time cheered, "It's so delicious. Father, you can buy us more next time you come back."

The men who used to wish that they could break a penny into a few coins waved their hands. "I'm buying, I'm buying, I'm buying."

"Mother, you suffered a lot living with me all these years. I've used my wages to buy some fabric for you to make a full set of clothes."

"Father, mother, I bought this to show my filial piety."

Their lives were getting better and better, and everyone was especially grateful and respectful to Xiao Hanzheng and his wife, who had led these changes.

Of course, this was a story for later.

A month later, Xi Rui and the other two each brought a few carriages back home.

Coincidentally, it was a rest day for the officials.

As soon as Xi Rui and Liang Youxiao got home, the old lady and the duke's wife hugged their precious babies and cried.

Especially in Xi Rui's family, the old lady and the duke's wife kept asking about his well-being.

She always felt that he had become darker and thinner, and her heart ached even more.

The old lady pulled on Xi Rui's hand, her eyes red. "You won't be going. You won't be going to the northern border after the new year."

"Yes, yes, you are not going," The duke's wife also said.