Fall Back (Michael Clifford)

You stared up at the bathroom ceiling from your spot in your bathtub. There was a birthday party for your little sister going on in your backyard, but you couldn't make yourself go back out. Your 7-year-old cousin kept bugging you about 'why isn't Mikey here?' and when you told her that the two of you broke up, she got mad at you.

It was a laughable concept, honestly – her getting mad about Michael breaking up with you – but you couldn't bring yourself to tell her the truth; You couldn't bring yourself to tell her that Michael was the one who ended things. She absolutely adored Michael and it would have broken her heart to know that he was the one who left.

So now, here you were: sitting in the tub in your bathroom, staring at the photos of you and Michael on your phone that you couldn't bear to delete. You knew it wasn't helping you get over him at all, but it was oddly comforting to just look at the way he used to smile at you.

You didn't know how long you were there for, but when you heard a knock on the bathroom door, it undoubtedly scared you.

"Y/N?" your cousin called out, "Are you in there?" You sniffled as quietly as you could, wiping your face and locking your phone before telling her she could come in.

Amelia cautiously opened the door, poking her head inside the room to find you in the tub. She was chewing on her inner cheek, fully entering the room so she could close the door behind her. She shyly walked over, climbing into the tub and sitting cross-legged between your legs.

"I didn't mean to make you sad," she said softly, "I was just mad Mikey's not here."

"I know," you whispered, your eyes trained on the faucet over the child's shoulder.

"Mom said that I should say sorry for yelling 'cause I don't know why he's not here," she looked down at her lap, "I'm really sorry I got mad at you, Y/N."

"It's okay, Mia," you assured her, making her look back up.

"How come you guys broke up?"

"I just fell out of love with him," you lied.

She scrunched her face up in confusion, "How do you fall out of love?"

You smiled slightly, "You'll understand it more when you're older."

"Why do people always say that?" she frowned, "I'm almost 8!"

"Because it's true," you giggled softly, "Come on, we should go back outside." You both got out of the tub and made your way back downstairs.

You were almost to the back door when you heard a knock on the front one. You furrowed your eyebrows – you thought everyone who was invited to the party was already there – but went to answer the door anyway. Amelia straggled behind carefully, unsure about this unknown visitor. The moment you pulled the door open, your heart skipped a beat.

"Michael?" you questioned, "What are you-"

"Mikey!" Amelia interrupted with a delighted squeal, running over and throwing her arms around his waist.

"Hey, cutie," Michael grinned although he was a bit surprised to see her.

"Y/N said you weren't coming!"

"She didn't think I was," he said, bring her back inside as he entered the house, "But do you think I could talk to her alone for a few minutes?"

"Are you gonna make her fall back in love with you?" she asked hopefully. Michael shot you a look as you pursed your lips together, shaking your head as a signal for him not to mention it in front of her.