Chasing After You (Michael Clifford) - Part 2

not as many people are as excited for this series as i thought there would be lol

~

Michael's POV

"You're acting as though you'd never seen a pretty girl before, Your Highness," the Captain of the guard said, walking with Michael down the hallway on his way to see his dad.

"She wasn't just a pretty girl, Captain," Michael shook his head, "She was different – like she had more of a story to tell. She was extraordinary. I didn't want her to stop talking. I wanted to find out everything about her and her life and what she does and-"

"But you've only met her once," he cut off the Prince's rambling.

"I know!" he sighed, "So I have no idea why I'm so hung up on her already!"

"Hung up on who, Mike?" the King asked as his son and the Captain entered the room.

"No one, Dad," he answered.

"The Prince met a girl in the woods while we were hunting, Your Majesty," the Captain ratted Michael out, only making the blonde sigh again.

"Well, why not tell me about her?" the King insisted, "I do enjoy listening to stories of princesses you fancy if they could come to rule this kingdom one day."

"But she's not a princess," Michael stated, "So you wouldn't be interested in hearing about her."

"Son, I'll still listen-"

"But you'll just tell me nothing could ever happen with her, Dad, and that's not what I want to hear," he said, giving his father the most serious expression, "You want me to fall in love with a princess and I respect your wishes, but I want the freedom to choose my future queen – previously royal or not."

"You know that's not how the laws work, Michael," the King sighed – he knew how much his son hated the idea of someone else deciding who he should fall in love with.

"Because you refuse to even attempt to change them," Michael reminded him.

"Mike, I would have to have a 2/3 vote from Parliament and they're not exactly as open-minded as you are about these kinds of things."

"I know – I've met them," he grumbled, "But it would be nice if my father would at least try." Michael didn't give his father a chance to respond, leaving him sighing once again as his son left the room.

~

Three hours later

As the dishes from lunch were being cleared from the table around them, Michael and his father were sitting there talking. Well... His father was talking – Michael was just listening. He couldn't get the girl he met in the woods out of his head no matter how hard he tried, and he didn't want to keep wondering when he was going to see her again – if he ever saw her again at all.

"You have to meet the Princesses as they arrive," the King rambled on, "And then you'll be required to dance with each of them and pick who you would like to take as your bride."

"On one condition," Michael finally spoke. The King motioned for him to go on. "Let the invitations go to everyone in the kingdom – not just nobility from around the country." He cocked an eyebrow before shrugging.

"Very well," he said, "Invitations will go to everyone." Michael smiled as he went on. "I want you to go meet with Bethany so she can get started on your outfit for the ball," he said, "I will be working with Andy on the invitations." Michael got up from his seat, heading toward the seamstress's room, when he was joined by someone else.