The Longest Ride (Marshall Traver) - Part 2

if ur not about the smut life, just turn back while u still can. if u thought hands to myself was bad, u have been warned

~

The next day

A couple hours after lunch, you and Nate drove the three hours to Arlington. As you got closer and closer to the exit on the highway, you were becoming increasingly anxious. Nate glanced over at you a few times, noticing that your leg never seemed to stop bouncing.

"You okay, Y/N?" he asked as he was taking the exit into your hometown.

"Fine," you murmured.

"I've worked with you for two years," he reminded you, "I know you're lying to me."

"It's nothing," you shook your head, "Just an ex-boyfriend."

"He gonna be there this weekend?"

"I guess you could say that."

"What do you mean?"

"He's gonna be in the rodeo," you sighed, "He's been the state champ for the last five years."

"Your ex-boyfriend is Marshall Traver?" he seemed genuinely surprised.

"Don't say his name, Nathan," you groaned softly, making him laugh.

"If I say his name, he's not going to show up in the rearview mirror, Y/N," he teased, "This isn't Bloody Mary."

You rolled your eyes, "Why am I friends with you again?"

"Because I'm the best cameraman you've ever worked with and I was also the only person to talk to you on your first day at the station," he said matter-of-factly. You couldn't help but roll your eyes again, shoving his shoulder lightly as he pulled into the driveway of your parents' ranch. You smiled instinctively upon seeing your entire family all waiting for you on the front porch.

Instead of having the station pay for a hotel in Dallas, you convinced them to allow you and Nate to stay at your parents' house for the weekend. There wasn't much deliberation – any way they could save money, they were going to do it – so when you called your mom with the news, she nearly burst into tears, excited her daughter was coming home for the state fair.

"You're related to all of these people?" Nate asked you as he put the van in park.

"They don't know how to keep it in their pants," you winked jokingly, unbuckling your seat belt and throwing the door open. You closed the door just before your mom reached you, wrapping you in the tightest hug she'd ever given you.

"I'm so happy to see you, honey!" she beamed, "We've missed you so much!"

"I've missed you guys too," you grinned as she let go of you so you could hug your father and brothers. As Nate came around the news van, you introduced him.

"Guys, this is Nate," you said, "He's the one always behind the camera making me look good."

"Believe me, it's not as easy as it sounds," he snickered. You stuck your tongue out at him, a gesture he happily returned. He shook your father's and brothers' hands, hugged your mom, and simply waved to the rest of your family before your parents ushered everyone inside for dinner.

~

Near the end of the meal, your family was talking about how they were looking forward to the rodeo this year. You couldn't lie – you were excited about it too, but you were wondering how it would be seeing Marshall after so long. However, you didn't know if you would get that chance.

"Well, you know, Marshall isn't competing this year, so maybe this guy will be the new state champ," your dad said as he reached over to ruffle your oldest brother's hair.