Chasing After You (Michael Clifford) - Part 5

You ran back through the castle, politely passing by the couples on the dance floor. Michael entered the room just as you reached the top of the first set of stairs, running after you. You had just reached the doorway to the ballroom when you nearly ran into somebody.

"Your Majesty," your eyes widened when you realized you almost collided with the King, "This was a lovely party and I'm terribly sorry I wasn't able to stay longer." He smiled in confusion as you took a couple more steps and stopped again to look at him. "You have a very wonderful son, Your Highness," you told him, "He's going to make a fine King someday." You smiled politely, curtsying quickly before continuing to run toward the front entrance.

"Thank you!" you heard the King call after you, making you grin to yourself before rounding another corner.

You found Luke mindlessly wandering around the front entrance, breathing a sigh of relief. When he saw you coming, his eyes widened. You grabbed his hand as you reached him, pulling him along with you.

"I thought you were gonna be late!" he exclaimed, managing to keep up with you.

"Just go get the carriage, Lu!" you exclaimed, pushing him ahead as you kept running. He bolted down the castle steps, rushing the carriage driver – lizard – to meet you at the front entrance.

You were halfway down the steps when you managed to step out of your shoe – just your luck. You turned around to retrieve it, but you heard the last thing you wanted to hear in that moment.

"Wait!" your head snapped up at the sound of Michael's voice, finding him at the top of the stairs.

Your eyes widened again, and you knew you had to ditch the shoe. You quickly took off your other shoe so you could run properly, and Luke met you right outside the gates. He hastily helped you into the carriage before climbing in behind you and closing the door, shouting for the driver to go.

"It's Michael!" you breathed, making Luke look at you, a bit out of breath himself.

"What?" he furrowed his eyebrows, "Michael who?"

"The guy I met in the woods!" you swallowed, "It's Michael Clifford! It's the Prince!"

"Whoa," Luke whispered, "Didn't see that one coming. What did he say when he found out it was you?" You let out a high-pitched sigh, making him look at you. "Y/N," he said with the most serious expression you'd ever seen on his face, "Don't tell me he didn't find out it was you."

"I... You called for me..." you shrugged, a shy smile on your face.

"Y/N!" Luke whined, "Why didn't you tell him?!"

"I panicked, Luke!" you squeaked, "We were dancing and he said I was beautiful and he leaned it to kiss me and I just... Lu, if Clara finds out I was there, I am dead! And then we can kiss me ever telling him myself goodbye!"

~

Michael's POV

Michael went to run after you, but stopped halfway down the staircase when he noticed something shining in the moonlight out of the corner of his eye. He looked down and found your shoe, picking it up. He went to continue running, but he was stopped.

"Your Highness!" Michael looked over his shoulder and found the Captain of the guard and the Grand Duke rushing to him.

"Ah, good! You're here!" Michael chirped, "One of you, go get me my horse!"

"No, Prince!" the Grand Duke said, "It's too risky! We'll go after her!" He immediately hurried the rest of the way down the stairs while the Captain slinked behind for a moment.