The Way It's Supposed to Be (Ashton Irwin)

i wanted to write a valentines day imagine so i did and i hope u like it and leave super nice messages!!!! 💙💙

~

"And so begins another year of over-the-top gestures of telling someone you love them as if you shouldn't already be doing that every other damn day of the year," you grumbled as you and Ashton walked through the Valentine's Day aisle of Walmart.

"Come on, Y/N – don't be such a sourpuss," he giggled, "Valentine's Day is fun!"

"What's so fun about it?" you laughed bitterly, "If I want to tell someone I love them, I'll just call them."

"A little something extra never hurt anybody," he commented, grabbing two boxes of chocolates for his mom and sister before moving down the aisle to find something for his brother as well.

"It's stupid," you stated, "I don't need some social construct trying to tell me that what I'm already doing isn't good enough."

"Well, you know what I think?" Ashton said thoughtfully, "I think that you just haven't had a Valentine's Day that knocked you off of your feet. I think if you had one of those, you'd feel differently."

"And I think you're full of shit," you said dryly, making him giggle again.

"Okay, well, instead of our usual night of hanging out, I'm gonna take you out for Valentine's Day," he announced.

"Ashton," you rolled your eyes, following him as he began heading to the checkout.

"And it's going to be the best Valentine's Day of your life so far!"

~

As promised, Ashton texted you on the day of the Valentine's Day, telling you to be ready by 6 that evening. He did give you somewhat of a hint – telling you to dress casual and warm – letting you know that what you were doing wasn't super fancy – much to your appreciation.

And you were ready the moment Ashton started knocking on your door.

You chose a simple outfit – your favorite jeans, a plain grey tee, and a light cardigan since it wasn't too cold outside. You didn't think you looked all that different that you usually did, but the moment you opened your door, your best friend couldn't wipe the silly grin off of his face.

"You look beautiful," Ashton told you as you stepped out of your apartment.

"What are we doing this for, Ash?" you sighed, "I'm missing Making a Murderer."

"It's not like it's live, Y/N," he chuckled, "You can watch it when you get back home."

He opened the front door of your building for you and led you out to his car, opening that door for you as well. He hurried around to the driver's side and climbed in, beginning the drive to wherever he was taking you.

"I just don't understand why we couldn't have stayed in, watched that, and stuffed our faces with pizza all night," you replied, looking out the window beside you at all the houses.

"I told you," he shook his head, "You need to get out and do something so you're not so anti-Valentine's Day."

"Maybe I enjoy being anti-Valentine's Day."

"Well, I don't," he smiled slightly, looking both ways after stopping at a stop sign before turning left, "It really puts a damper on my mood."

"And yet, you still choose to be around me around this day every year," you replied.

"You need someone who likes today in your life," he said matter-of-factly.