Reasons I Love You (Ashton Irwin) - Part 2

requested by perfectcuddlesize on tumblr

this is a lot longer than the first part ok so ur welcome

~

Three days later; After school

Three days of personal pep talks and promising yourself you wouldn't back out led to this moment.

It was a rainy Friday afternoon – everyone was packing up to go home for the weekend, but you were going in the completely opposite direction of your locker. You weren't exactly sure how you were going to do it, but you knew you were going to – officially – break up with Gunnar. You hadn't spoken to each other since you caught him cheating – much to Ashton's pleasure – but you knew you'd have to if you ever wanted to break up with him.

The closer you got to his locker, the more you felt your heart beating in your throat. You were understandably nervous – he had a lot of friends and he wasn't going to leave them even if you asked. But as you rounded the corner and found him with his usual group as well as the girl you'd seen him kissing only a couple days ago, you felt a little better – it suddenly felt a little easier breaking up with someone who had no remorse for hurting you.

"Gunnar," you said softly, making him look at you as you cleared your throat, "We need to talk."

"I agree," he nodded, "You've been avoiding me."

"What?" you furrowed your eyebrows. You were growing a little self-conscious of all the eyes on you, but it was like the confusion drowned it all out.

"Whenever I see you, you just keep walking – don't even say hi anymore," he stated, "I'm just wondering why."

"You could say hi to me too," you reminded him, "You don't have to wait for me to acknowledge you."

"I'll remember that for next time," he said. You only sighed – you knew he wasn't going to take it to heart. "What did-" Gunnar was cut off by someone walking up behind you, but you didn't need to look at them to know who it was – the sound of his leather jacket gave it away.

"What did I tell you about talking to her?" Ashton asked through gritted teeth. You felt him put his hand on the side of your waist.

"She came over here," Gunnar spat back, "So why don't you just skip back over to your friends and leave us alone, Irwin? Oh, wait – I forgot; You don't have any." He let out a dry laugh and then turned back to you. "What did you need me for, babe?" he asked. You sighed again softly – you really didn't want there to be a scene, but you didn't really have a choice now.

"I..." you swallowed thickly, "I wanna break up." Gunnar's jaw dropped slightly while the corner of Ashton's mouth curled into a smirk as you felt him squeeze you gently.

"I'm sorry, what was that?" he shook off the expression and let out another dry laugh, "It sounded like you just said something stupid." You knew he heard you the first time, but you repeated yourself anyway.

"I said I wanna break up," you said more confidently despite the fact that your voice was shaking. The smile disappeared from Gunnar's mouth and he narrowed his eyes.

"You're a pathetic little nobody without me, Y/N," he shot at you with a menacing tone, "No one in this school is going to give you the attention I did." Ashton opened his mouth to defend you, but your voice made him stay quiet.

"What attention?" you shook your head, "The attention you gave me by canceling every plan I tried to make? The attention you gave me by ignoring my calls and texts when I'm just asking how you're doing? The attention you give me by not putting any effort into our relationship for the past year? I hope no one gives me that kind of attention! Being single for the rest of my 'pathetic' life would be much better than being stuck with someone like you!" You ended your rant by walking away, leaving everyone surprised by what you'd said. You'd never particularly been the kind of person to stand up for themselves, so they were understandably surprised.