Too Good to Be True (Zach DeWall) - Part 2 *

the ending of the first part did not please catelyn yall

Trigger warning: Mentions of abuse

~

Two months later

You and Zach had been dating for almost two months now and he still hadn't brought up how he thought you were his soulmate. He made sure you never noticed him jump when you got hurt, and he would occasionally prick his finger on purpose when you weren't looking at him, keeping his eyes on you to see if you reacted – you did, of course, always rubbing the spot he'd tested on. He didn't know why he couldn't bring himself to admit his theory directly to you, but as long as you were in his life, he was more than okay with taking things slow.

One afternoon, when you and Zach were both free, he'd texted you asking if you wanted to hang out. You obviously weren't going to turn him down, so he arrived at your place not long after. You walked around the city for a bit, neither of you really sure what you wanted to do but knowing you wanted to be together.

You eventually decided to get drinks at a coffee shop, but it wasn't until you were approaching it that you realized where Zach was taking you. Your eyes widened and your heart started racing involuntarily – you really didn't want him to find out about your past this way, but you also sure as hell weren't about to let your ex-boyfriend see you.

Zach yelped surprised when he was yanked back by you stopping dead in your tracks right before you were outside the Starbucks window. He huffed lightly, not understanding what you were doing, but when he turned to look at you, his heart dropped. You truthfully looked like the most terrified he'd ever seen someone and he immediately became panicked.

"Y/N, what's wrong?" he asked, moving in front of you and squeezing your hand.

"I'm- I'm not... I can't go-go in there," you shook your head rapidly, backing up so you were further away from the window.

"What? Why not?" he furrowed his eyebrows, looking into the store to see who might have caught your eye but he only saw his friend behind the counter.

"My... My ex works there and I'm not... I can't... No... I... I left without...without telling him and he's really mad and I don't... I don't wanna get hi-" You immediately cut yourself off, but it was too late; Zach already knew what you were going to say.

"He hit you?" Zach shook his head slowly, "No... Jonah wouldn't do that..."

"Yes, he would!" you choked out, "He did! He did it all the time!"

"But he's so nice..."

"That doesn't mean he never hit me!" your voice cracked. You noticed out of the corner of your eye that people were looking at you, making you swallow thickly. "I'm going home," you mumbled loud enough for Zach to hear before taking your hand out of his and turning around.

"Y/N!" Zach called after you, sighing when you only started walking faster.

~

One week later

Zach had been trying to contact you for the last week to no avail. You wouldn't answer any of his texts, all of his calls went to voicemail... He knew he shouldn't have said what he did – that saying 'But he's so nice!' isn't the best thing to say to abuse victim – but in that moment, he wasn't thinking. He did feel incredibly guilty though – so much so that he knew the only solution was to cut ties with Jonah before anything else.

And that's what he did.

Zach walked down the sidewalk with his hands stuffed in the pocket of his hoodie, mentally preparing himself for confronting his soon-to-be ex-friend. He wasn't entirely sure what he was going to say, but he didn't really think about it either – he figured the words would just come to him in the moment.