The Lucky Ones (Michael Clifford)

an au in which everyone is born with heterochromia – your right eye is your own natural eye color and your left eye is the color of your soulmate's

~

"Lukey!" you beamed, bouncing over to your best friend, "Sorry I'm late!"

"Hey, babe!" he chirped, giving you a hug, "It's okay. You'll have plenty of time to meet the boys after the show, but I'll introduce you to them now anyway." You nodded and he grabbed your hand pulling you over to a small group of three boys, all holding instruments. "Guys!" Luke said, making them look at him, "This is Y/N. Y/N, this is Ashton-" He pointed to the boy with the drumsticks. "Calum-" He pointed to the boy with the bass hanging off his shoulder. "And Michael," he finished, pointing to the boy with a black guitar.

"Y/N!" Ashton cheered, "It's so good to meet you! Luke talks about you all the time!" He pulled you into a hug as you giggled.

"Good things, I hope," you commented.

"Mostly," Calum chuckled, hugging you as well. You then hugged Michael, but he didn't say anything – he was just watching you.

You hadn't really looked at him too closely, but he definitely noticed how your left eye looked an awful lot like his right one and your right one looked an awful lot like his left. He didn't know if it was just some sick coincidence, but he couldn't deny that his heart was racing at the thought that someone as beautiful as you could be his soulmate.

"You're on, boys!" someone said as he came up, ushering them onstage.

"We'll talk properly later," Luke said.

"Yeah," Ashton nodded, "We can't wait to officially meet the girl Luke never shuts up about." The blonde rolled his eyes, shoving his best friend as they trotted on stage. Calum followed behind them, but Michael lingered for a moment, finishing tightening his guitar strap.

It was then that he looked up at you and you both froze in shock. You each watched the other's left eye change colors, telling you that you were soulmates.

Michael wasn't even given a second to comment on what had just happened, being physically nudged toward the stage. But he was going to be the first person to say something to you after the show – he was your soulmate, after all, it wasn't like he could avoid talking to you forever.

Unfortunately though, it seemed like that would end up being the case.

Because when the boys got off stage 45 minutes later, you were nowhere to be found. Remembering he'd felt his phone vibrate halfway through their set, Luke took it out of his pocket to see if you'd texted him – and you did.

Please tell Michael I'm sorry

Luke tilted his head in confusion before asking what they thought that meant. But the moment he looked up at them, he knew. He could tell that Michael's eyes were now both the same color.

And they were also glossy from the tears he was holding back at knowing you'd left because of it.

~

Two weeks later

It had been a couple weeks since you last saw Michael or any of the boys. You weren't going to deny that what you did was wrong, but you also couldn't say you wouldn't have done it again. However, you knew you had to explain to Michael why you just left like that, so that was what you did.

You texted Luke – not surprised that he was upset with you for leaving Michael – but he gave you the blonde's address anyway, being able to tell that – even though you were only texting him – you felt incredibly guilty for it.