Alone Together (Michael Clifford)

sorry it's christmas themed (and incredibly short) but it's the only one i have finished

~

Sitting in the stairwell at the office Christmas party wasn't exactly how you'd planned on tonight going, though you couldn't really say you were surprised.

You were a bit of a loner when it came to work events – either sitting by yourself at a table, standing near the refreshments, or just not going altogether. You wanted to be more social – you wanted to make some friends, at least – but you just couldn't make yourself be the first to approach people.

Your co-workers would come up to you as they arrived to say the usual hello and ask how you were, but it never lasted for more than two minutes. They would go off and talk to other people or their own friends, leaving you by yourself once again. You weren't hated around the office by any means – people were just always better friends with somebody else.

You were listening to the echoes of the music – a Christmas song you recognized but couldn't quite place who the artist was – when your moment of solitary was interrupted. You jumped slightly when the door swung open, your head snapping up to watch one of your co-workers enter the stairwell.

Michael was fairly new to the office, settling into his place at the desk a couple cubicles down from yours. You would catch him staring at you a lot, but every time you smiled at him, he would put his head down and get back to work. He would speak to you at the copy machine or in the break room if you ever happened to be there at the same time, but it was never anything more than asking how your day had been going and telling you to have a nice one before he returned back to his desk in a rush.

"Sorry, Y/N," Michael mumbled, "I didn't think anyone else would be in here."

"It's okay, Michael," you said softly, watching him as he sat down next to you – a feat that confused you since he usually avoided all possibilities where you two were alone, "What are you doing?"

"None of my friends could be my plus one tonight since they're at their own Christmas parties," he explained with a sigh, "I thought I'd come anyway just to be polite since I was invited, but I haven't really made friends with people here, so... I thought I could just hide out here until the party was over." It was quiet until looked at you curiously. "Why are you out here?" he asked.

"Same reason," you whispered, looking down at your lap, "I don't know why I even came at all, to be honest-" You forced out a laugh. "-I'm always by myself anyway. I try to talk to people, but... Everybody's always better friends with somebody else."

"Well, you know... You and I are both alone at this thing... Maybe we could be alone together..."

You looked back up at Michael, finding him smiling shyly. He could tell you were surprised by the offer – he even surprised himself too – but the appreciative expression on your face was one that made his heart flutter.

You gave him a genuine smile, "Doesn't it defeat the purpose of being alone if you're with somebody?"

"Maybe," he shrugged, a slightly bigger smile on his face now, "But I think we both deserve to have some fun at one of these ridiculous office parties." Michael stood up, holding his hand out to you.

You looked at it for a moment before taking it, letting him pull you to your feet. You wandered back into the room where everyone was, all of them so occupied with their conversations that they hadn't even noticed you and Michael had been gone.

"Do you want a drink?" he asked you, not knowing what was going on in your head but knowing it was enough to make you space out for a moment.

"Thank you," you murmured with a smile. He grinned as well, leading you over to a table and having you sit down before he went to get drinks for the both of you.

You talked for a while as you sipped on your drinks, and you were surprised to find that having a conversation with Michael just seemed so second-nature to you. Whenever you'd talk to someone else in the office you didn't know too well, it was just...awkward. But with Michael, it felt easy – like you could tell him anything and he would still stick around.

You weren't sure how long into the conversation you were, but you heard the beginning notes of your favorite slow song start playing through the speakers. You instantly smiled slightly, barely swaying to the music.

"I love this song," you sighed to yourself, not even realizing you'd said it out loud until Michael smiled at you.

"Me too," he said, holding his hand out again, "Dance?" You barely grinned, taking his hand and letting him pull you over to the dance floor where your other co-workers were dancing with their own partners or friends.

You started out with your forearms resting on his shoulders and his hands on your hips, but as the song went on, you got closer to each other. By the start of the second verse, your arms were wrapped completely around his neck with your head on his shoulder and his arms were around your waist, holding your body close to his.

"Thank you for tonight, Michael," you murmured, "I'd probably still be alone in the stairwell if it weren't for you." You felt him move his head just before his lips were planted on your temple.

"You shouldn't feel like you have to come to office parties just to keep from being alone, Y/N," Michael told you, squeezing you affectionately, "And no one deserves to be alone on Christmas."

And as you tightened your hold on him, it got you thinking... Maybe working there wouldn't be so bad after all.

~

outfit: https://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=229623584

inspiration: http://thebestofaudioposts.tumblr.com/post/154153226492/arroz-inmilkwood-rosehaw-this-makes-me