Teardrops on My Guitar (Michael Clifford) - Part 2

Your POV; One month later

Michael would try to ask you about that day at school or about the song, but you never humored him. All you wanted was to pretend it never happened and that he didn't know you liked him and everything was exactly how it used to be – for Christ's sake, you never thought the song would even find its way to him in the first place.

Michael gave up a few days after the show, which you were thankful for, but he was starting to act weird. Whenever you tried to ask him to hang out or schedule a study date for a test, he would reject it, saying he was too busy. You knew your best friend, and you knew he was never 'too busy' for you.

~

The day of that month's open mic night, Michael asked you to go with him. He told you he wanted to try it out for the first time and, since you'd always loved hearing him sing, you couldn't say no. And although a bit heartbroken, you weren't at all surprised to see Julianna waiting outside the door when Michael pulled into the venue's parking lot.

"Hey, guys!" she chirped happily when the two of you walked up. She didn't kiss Michael's cheek – something she always did when greeting him – but you elected not to say anything. He opened the door for both of you and you walked inside.

The evening started out normal – you sat down at a table near the stage but still off to the side, happily listening to those who had signed up to perform that night. You hadn't felt like it yourself, so it was nice to just be able to enjoy the other singers without worrying about your own performance for once.

When Michael's name was finally called for his turn, he hopped up from his seat and grabbed the guitar he'd leaned up against the empty chair beside him at your table. Once he was onstage and sitting in the chair behind the microphone, he smiled and started speaking.

"This is my first time doing something like this and I'm kind of nervous, so I'm sorry if I mess up at some point," Michael announced with a chuckle, adjusting the guitar on his lap so he was more comfortable, "I have this song that I've been working on for a little over a month now that I wrote for someone incredibly important to me and I hope you all like it." He grinned to end his speech, making those in the crowd clap as he began strumming his instrument. Julianna looked at you with a big grin on her face which understandably confused you – why was she looking at you and not Michael?

Don't talk; let me think it over
How we gonna fix this?
How we gonna undo all the pain?
Tell me, is it even worth it?
Looking through a straight line
Taking back the time we can't replace

All the crossed wires, just making us tired
Is it too late to bring us back to life?

When I close my eyes and try to sleep
I fall apart – I'm fighting hard to breathe
You're the reason, the only reason
Even though my dizzy head is numb
I swear my heart is never giving up
You're the reason, the only reason

I feel you burning under my skin
I swear I see you shining
Brighter than the flame inside your eyes

Bitter words spoken; everything broken
It's never too late to bring us back to life

When I close my eyes and try to sleep
I fall apart – I'm fighting hard to breathe
You're the reason, the only reason
Even though my dizzy head is numb
I swear my heart is never giving up
You're the reason, the only reason

Don't talk; let me think it over
How we gonna fix this?
How we gonna undo all the pain?

When I close my eyes and try to sleep
I fall apart – I'm fighting hard to breathe
You're the reason, the only reason
Even though my dizzy head is numb
I swear my heart is never giving up
You're the reason, the only reason