More Than Anything (Ashton Irwin) - Part 2

One week later

Another Saturday, another day you were alone in your house. You thought about running errands – not having either of the girls with you would allow you to actually get only the things you needed – but you didn't end up doing that.

Instead, you ended up doing nothing. Sure, you watched a couple TV shows here and there and tried to read a book, but you just couldn't make yourself stop thinking about what Alexia had asked you.

The way she looked at you when she asked why you didn't love her dad anymore understandably broke your heart, but you weren't so sure you didn't, to be honest. Ashton was their father and the first man you ever truly fell in love with – you were sure you were always going to feel some level of love for him.

Fortunately for you, your thoughts were once again interrupted.

A knock on the front door made you furrow your eyebrows – you weren't expecting anybody to come by that evening – but you quickly got up to answer it anyway. However, you were only even more confused when you saw your ex-husband standing there.

"Ashton?" you said curiously, "What... What are you doing here? Where are the girls?"

"My mum wanted to spend time with them, so she took them to the zoo," he informed you, "But I heard you wanted to talk to me and since I wasn't doing anything, I thought I'd just come over now."

"Who said that?" you furrowed your eyebrows.

"Alexia," he said, "She said you told her we'd talk about making up. She refused to go with my mum until I pinky swore I would come see you."

You sighed, slouching your shoulders and sluggishly moving to the couch. Ashton looked at you for a moment before following you, sitting one seat away from you, turning so he was facing you slightly.

"She just misses all of us living together and seeing you every day, Ashton," you mumbled, looking down at the hands on your lap, "She wouldn't understand why we ended things, so I just told her it was because we needed space."

"Why did we end things?" You looked over at him in surprise.

"You were the one who suggested it," you reminded him, "We were fighting too much – it wasn't good for the girls."

"We weren't always fighting," he said, "And I remember the times we weren't being some of the best times of my life. And I'm just trying to figure out where it all went wrong."

"You didn't love me anymore," your voice unexpectedly broke. Ashton watched as your chest very visibly rose and fell with your heavy breathing, and when he looked at your face, he could tell you were desperately trying not to cry.

"Y/N... You're the mother of my kids – I'm always going to love you," he shook his head.

"But you're not in love with me, Ashton," you replied as strongly as your voice would allow you to, "You stopped kissing me good morning and goodnight, you stopped hugging me from behind while I made dinner, you stopped asking about my day..."

"Y/N..." he trailed off, "Why didn't you just tell me you were feeling like that?"

"Because everything turned into a fight," you whimpered, "And I didn't wanna get yelled at anymore."

It was then that Ashton came over to you, sitting down on the coffee table in front of you. He grabbed your hands and pulled you to sit up on the edge of the couch before moving his hands to your face and wiping what tears had managed to escape.