Out of the Woods (Maxx Danziger) - Part 3

Trigger warning: If the idea of kidnappings are triggering to you, please don't read this

~

The next morning

It was about 10 o'clock by the time all of the boys had woken up and trudged out of their rooms. You and Maxx were already awake, sitting on the couch and watching some random TV show.

Cody, Zach, and Dan stood in the hallway, glancing at each other when they noticed you curled up on Maxx's lap and his fingers drawing circles on your thigh. They knew you and Maxx were the closest in the group – aside from you and your brother, of course – but they could tell by the way he was holding you that he'd finally admitted how he felt about you. And they knew by the way you were sitting with him that you felt the same way.

"You guys coming in here or are you just gonna stare at us?" Maxx asked, making the boys jump slightly. You giggled softly, finally lifting your head to look back at them. They smiled shyly, finally walking into the room.

"So," Cody cleared his throat, "You guys are..." You shrugged with a smile, laying your head back on Maxx's shoulder.

"You guys eat anything yet?" Dan asked.

"We had some cereal a couple hours ago," Maxx replied, tilting his head back to look at them.

"Wasn't it stale?" Zach scrunched his face up.

"Not when the box hadn't been opened yet," he laughed.

The three boys wandered into the kitchen to get some breakfast and Maxx took that as an opportunity. He shook his shoulder so you would pick your head back up and look at him. The moment you did, his lips were on yours and you couldn't help but laugh at him. You happily kissed him back though, pulling away just before the boys returned.

~

20 minutes later, when everyone was finished eating, it was time to come up with a plan. You all discussed it for about two hours, wanting to make sure nothing could possibly go wrong – but also wanting to have backup plans in case anything did.

"We all good on the plan?" Maxx asked. You all nodded in agreement and got up, grabbing your guns and backpacks and anything else you may need.

Once you were ready, you left the house – you and Maxx leading the group toward the building you'd found the previous day.

You all climbed up onto the roof, being incredibly careful not to attract any unwanted attention. You went to the vent opening and shrugged your backpack off, setting it on the ground beside your feet. You obviously couldn't take it because you wouldn't have fit in the vents – and it definitely would have made too much noise anyway. You were about to have Zach and Dan help you into the opening when Maxx suddenly stopped you.

"Y/N!" he said softly, "Y/N, hold on!" You turned to see him digging through his backpack. He pulled out a pad of paper and a pen, handing it to you. "If you need to talk to Jace, use this so no one hears you."

"Thanks, Maxx," you said softly, taking the items.

You stuck the pen in the spiral of the pad and then stuffed it between your stomach and the waistline of your jeans. The two boys then hoisted you up into the vent and you quietly climbed in, beginning your search for your brother.

You used your forearms to drag yourself through the cramped space, careful not to make too much noise. You could hear militiamen talking, your heart pounding loudly in your ears as you passed wherever they were. You moved on until you reached what you calculated to be the middle of the building, breathing a small sigh of relief when you looked down and saw your brother lying on the jail cell's bed.