Detention (Calum Hood) - Part 1

You walked into detention, every single desk empty except for one.

You'd gotten detention for the first time in all your years of going to school – but let's be clear on one thing: It wasn't your fault.

That fact, however, didn't change the fact that you were still given the order to go to detention after school that day, so you begrudgingly went in after gathering everything you needed from your locker after the final bell that day.

Calum Hood was the school's bad boy – always in some kind of trouble and definitely no stranger to being in detention – so it was no surprise to you that he was the only other person in the room with you that day.

You'd known of Calum for a couple years now – you transferred to his school halfway through 10th grade – but you never really talked to him. You never talked to anyone, actually. You were a bit of a loner – not many friends in the school, and those you were friends with, you only saw before and after classes.

You felt Calum's eyes on you as you sat down on the complete opposite side of the room as him. You leaned down after putting your backpack on the floor, reaching in and getting your math homework. You put it on your desk and opened your notebook, hearing a soft chuckle come from the other side of the room.

"You're doing homework?" the boy said, breaking the silence.

"What else am I supposed to do?" you asked, not looking up from your books, "It's not gonna do itself."

"You could keep me company," Calum suggested.

"I thought detention was supposed to be quiet," you tried hinting to him but he didn't seem to get it.

"Usually," he nodded, "But that's only when there's a teacher in the room." Your curiosity got the better of you and you looked over at him. "Mr. Schuffman never shows up," he informed you, "Something about how his kids' daycare will kick them out if he's late one more time."

"But you still come to detention?" you cocked an eyebrow.

"He has the officer at the front desk watch the cameras in this hallway like a hawk until 3:45," he shrugged, "There's no escape."

You sighed softly, watching as Calum got up from his seat and sauntered toward your own. He plopped down at the desk in front of yours, leaning back against the arm of the desk and propping his feet up on the chair across from him.

"So," he said, "What are you in for?"

"Unlawful imprisonment," you murmured, looking back down at your work. Calum plucked the pencil out of your hand, twirling it around in his fingers like a drumstick as you huffed sharply.

"And that means?" he egged you on.

"Someone hit me at lunch," you told him, "So I hit them back."

"And you're the one in detention because...?"

"I told you – unlawful imprisonment," you repeated, "A teacher saw me hit him but not him hit me. And everyone came to his defense so I got in trouble."

"And security cameras didn't help you?"

"Would I be here if they did?" you rolled your eyes, snatching your pencil back from him. But since it was clear he wasn't going to let you do your work in peace, you didn't go back to it and simply leaned back in your seat. "Why are you here?" you asked.

"I'm always here," he replied.

"I'm sure you're not here for the same reason every time," you shook your head. Calum looked at you for a moment, mentally deciding whether or not he should tell you the truth or make something up.