Wasted (Marshall Traver)

my lovely marshall anon on tumblr wanted something based on a song from The Summer Set's "Stories for Monday" album, so I picked this one because it's my favorite from their favorites :)

~

Flashback

We were right there in the desert
I was seventeen years old
We were talking 'bout the future
All the places we would go

Swore we'd start a revolution
We were young and unprepared
Growing up can make you stupid
Why is everyone so scared?

"Where do you see yourself in five years?" Marshall asked suddenly as you were sitting in the bed of his pick-up truck, staring up at the stars.

"What is this, some sort of college interview?" you giggled.

"Come on," he smiled at the sound of your laugh, "Just answer."

"Well, I'll be 22," you said thoughtfully, "Hopefully, I'll be graduating college and finding a job so I don't have to move back in with my parents..." You trailed off with a small sigh, making him raise an eyebrow at you, but you didn't notice – you were too busy looking at the sky above you. "It's kinda scary, to be honest," you whispered, more to yourself than to Marshall.

"What's so scary about it?" he asked.

"The uncertainty of it all," you replied, "Not knowing whether or not you're going to be able to make it on your own or what's going to happen five years from now or five months or even five hours. There's so much I want to do with my life, but I don't know if I'll ever have the means to do them. It's just scary to think that I won't be able to do it all before I die."

'Cause I believe that we gotta be good for something
I believe that the moment will come but
If we die and find out it was all for nothing
Least we know that youth wasn't wasted on us

"I think you're gonna do just fine, Y/N," Marshall told you.

"Are you a psychic now?" you teased, turning your head to look at him.

"No," he chuckled, shoving your arm playfully, "But I know you well enough to know that you're going to do everything you could ever want. You deserve the world and you're not gonna stop until you get it."

"Thanks, Mar," you murmured, leaning over and kissing his cheek to make him smile. "So what about you?" you asked, "Where do you see yourself in five years?"

"That's kind of what I brought you here to talk about," he cleared his throat. You propped yourself up on your forearms so you could look at him properly.

"What do you mean?" you raised an eyebrow.

"You know how I've been kinda MIA lately?" he asked, making you nod. "Well... I've been talking with someone who works for a record company in New York... They saw my covers on YouTube and want to sign me." Your eyes widened and you immediately flung yourself at him, wrapping your arms around his neck.

"Mar, congratulations!" you squeaked, "That's so cool!"

"I know, but..."

"But?" you furrowed your eyebrows, picking yourself back up, "But what? This is huge for you! You can finally get your name out there now!"

"That means I'll have to move to New York," he reminded you, a soft tone in his voice, "Which means I'll have to-"

"Leave me," you finished quietly, your voice breaking.